spookedhippie

Growing from seed

Well I seem to have found a slight gap on bonsai info. Over christmas I brought some Japanese red maple seeds. I followed the instructions on the box, putting it in the fridge and everything. 4 of the seeds have now sprouted and are showing their true leaves, rather than just the baby ones. At this point I think I need to repot. But everywhere I look now on the web does not seem to have info on what to do over the next couple of years. there is info on when bonsais are seeds or assumes the bonsai is fully grown! Any advice on how to look after very young seedlings or if anyone has any links would be greatly appreciated

FLBonsai
Cool Member

spookedhippie,

If it is possible dig up an area in your yard. Amend the soil with manure or whatever else it may need (depending if the soil is sand or doesn't drain well etc). Plant a hard ceramic tile, block of wood, about 2-3 inches deep. Place your single sprout over the center and then cover with dirt. By doing this you will allow your babies to grow fast and strong while developing good nebari and flat roots.

As far as styling you should read some bonsai4me.com advanced techniques to see how you should allow some suckers to grow rapidly. But mainly you will not be doing very much trimming for about 4 years or longer depending on the final trunk width.

spookedhippie

thanks for the reply FL. The package for the bonsai says indoor and I'd like to keep them indoors. Also I'm a little scared of the uk weather as we have been having very cold days over here...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

spookedhippie,
Over christmas I brought some Japanese red maple seeds. I followed the instructions on the box, putting it in the fridge and everything. 4 of the seeds have now sprouted and are showing their true leaves, rather than just the baby ones.
The package for the bonsai says indoor and I'd like to keep them indoors. Also I'm a little scared of the uk weather as we have been having very cold days over here...

These two statements are rather at odds with each other. Maples would not generally be considered a good candidate for inside trees. They're OK for now as long as you're meeting their need WRT lighting and humidity.

My approach would be to pot them up and get them outside when the weather will allow. Other than that, leave them pretty much alone for the remainder of this year. Maintain them in good health and see how many you can get through the year.

Norm

spookedhippie

thanks for the advice. I've potted two up as they were so big in the container that the other two growing were not getting any light. The biggest of the two though, its leaves have shrivelled up within an hour! Is this just due to the repot and it'll sort itself out with a bit of sun?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

spookedhippie,

Yes, sometimes seedlings can suffer from early re-potting. In the future either use a larger flat so that you can space the seeds further apart or use smaller individual pots so that early re-potting is not necessary. For now you can try enclosing it inside a clear glass or plastic container. This should help keep the humidity up a bit which can often be too low inside our homes.

Norm

spookedhippie

Thanks for the great advice Gnome, I'll go out and grab a few!

spookedhippie

well the seedlings seem to be going fine but now needing the next bit of advice. On the instructions that came with the box it says that I should cut the growing tip to make the leaves branch out. On two of my seedlings the next layer of leaf growth (the growing tip I presume!) is already starting. Should I cut this off or just leave well alone? This is one of those things where I'd rather go from people with experience rather than a set of instructions!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

spookedhippie,

I would not cut them this year. In fact, other than re-potting as necessary, I don't feel you should do much with these at all for several years. Maples will back bud readily from the locations of previous leaves (nodes) so there is little to be gained by pinching them now when you can easily get new buds to break later.

During the first few years you should focus your efforts, on establishing a good root system. I work the roots of young trees pretty aggressively at each re-potting. I do lose some in the process, but better to 'take the hit' early and end up with better material in the future than spend years growing something out only to later realize that the roots are horrible.

This is one reason that seedlings are not the ideal way to start in bonsai, a lot of time invested early on not doing actual bonsai.

By the way, FLBonsai's advice about planting them out in the garden is good for a long term strategy. If that is the approach you wish to take I still think it would be a good idea to let them spend a year or two in pots in order to become established. It's easy for seedlings to become overwhelmed, lost or damaged in the 'wilds' of your garden bed. This also affords you the opportunity to 'work the roots' a few times as I mentioned above.

Norm

spookedhippie

Thank you so much Gnome, your advice is always read with reverance! I did think the instructions were a little 'keen' so I will lave well alone. I don't mind the time it will take for these as to be honest I like the fact I'm the one nuturing from the word go. I'm leaving them in pots for the minute so thanks for the advice on the roots. Presumaly as they are staying indoors at the mintue I just change pots as and when and don't worry about the seasons?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

spookedhippie,
Thank you so much Gnome, your advice is always read with reverance!
You're welcome and I do appreciate the vote of confidence but don't forget that these are just my opinions and there is always more than one way to approach any situation.
Presumaly as they are staying indoors at the mintue I just change pots as and when and don't worry about the seasons?
Seasons are important to Japanese Maples. They will not survive indoors long term, at least not without heroic efforts to provide a dormant period over the winter.

I fear that you may have misinterpreted my intention when I wrote this earlier:
Maples would not generally be considered a good candidate for inside trees. They're OK for now as long as you're meeting their need WRT lighting and humidity.
If your weather is settled they belong outside, now and forever. If you wish to pursue indoor bonsai you should not be growing temperate trees. You should look to tropicals or perhaps sub-tropicals.

Norm

spookedhippie

Thanks Gnome, I'm going to try my luck at least at first indoors, particularly as the british weather is very variable at the minute with hge draughts of cold followed by heat. In my house I do have a room that stays rather cold with no heating ever on which could help for the dormant period?

And it may only be your opinion Gnome but it is highly valued and made by somebody who has far more experience than myself!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”