gogreen
Newly Registered

Need Assistance - New Indoor Bonsai Gardener

Greetings from New York City!

Thanks for the opportunity to participate in this gardening forum :)

I received a juniper bonsai as a gift last December which is not doing so well and have posted a question at the Indoor Bonsai Forum (Indoor Juniper Bonsai Sick - Turning Brittle). Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi GG!

Best to check in to the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=5e58241b1dabfddfaff14f7eabb78767]Bonsai Forum[/url] to find all the bonsai know-how. Norm is a very talented and knowledgable mod and the regulars can get you through most anything that arises...

Welcome!

HG
Scott Reil

Bonsai Nutcase

Welcome! I'm sure you'll have plenty of responses in the Bonsai Forum, there are lots of us here!
Angela

To those who say "We can't afford to go green" I say "We can't afford not to".

Gnome
Mod

gogreen,

Hello and welcome to the forum. I see that you posted in someone else's thread. It was related so that's not really a problem but, for future reference, you will generally get a better response if you start a thread of your own and keep all related discussion in one place. Here's the link so that others can follow along.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7673

Several comments were made both to you and to Anooshey who started the thread. I know that they were not terrible optimistic but unfortunately the fate of Junipers that are kept inside is almost universally negative. Once a Juniper reaches the dried out stage there is very little hope that it will recover.

The truth is that Junipers are one of the worst candidates for indoor culture and the vendors that tell new enthusiasts otherwise do a disservice to their customers. If you wish to continue with bonsai have a look around the indoor bonsai forum and you will find several species that are better suited to being kept inside.

Oh, and just so you don't get surprised some form of supplemental lighting is almost a prerequisite unless you are lucky enough to have a southern facing window. I hope that you do not give up on bonsai. Indoor growers can successfully grow bonsai provided they choose the correct subjects.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”