fallnroc

Choosing an indoor bonsai.

Let me thank you in advance. I'm very new to the world of Bonsai. I have only bought a junapur tree just last week. I was told it would be just fine as indoors plant. After consulting with people here in the forum I've found out that the vendor misled me.
I have went on line and found a place that has several different kinds of bonsai trees. I've found at least 15 kinds that interested me. I don't want to overwelm you with all 15 at once so I broke them down into groups of five at a time that I'll ask about. Now I've been told that these trees are very easy to raise and would be perfect for me seeing how I could and have killed a cactus. I pocess no green thumb. These Bonsai's are suppose to be right up my alley. Does anybody have any input for me on the following trees? 1. Hawaiian Umbrella, 2. Japanese Kingville Boxwood, 3. Flowering Briazillian Raintree, 4. Flowering Lavender Star, And 5. Dracaena. These are five of the top ones I found that are not to costly and are nice looking Bonsai trees that look like trees. I've been told that these are very good trees for the beginer but then I was told the junepur was a good indoor tree. I know people trying to sell you something will say what ever it takes to sell you. But in here no one is trying to sell me anything so I fell I can only get posative info here. Another thing I would like to hear about is a company I found on line. It seems to come up everywhere I look. Has anybody had any dealings with or heard any thing about "Bonsai Boy of New York"? If any body has any sugustions on Bonsai trees please let me know. I do have 10 more to ask about later so again thank you for all your help. :oops: :lol:

djlen
Green Thumb

Hi and Welcome to the forum,
I will be brief because it is late here in New Jersey.
You need to tell us what your goal is in keeping a bonsai tree. Do you want to keep it indoors or out? Do you want to buy just one or two or a dozen?
My suggestion is that you go with the Schefflera, or what you called an umbrella tree. They are basically house plants that can be kept indoors and grown as Bonsai trees. Very easy and a good starter plant for just about anybody.
From what you mention as to your experience the others would be something I'd suggest you try after you learn how to care for an Umbrella tree. They all require a least a little know how.
Your Juniper will have to be kept outside. It will not live indoors and anyone who told you it would was misleading you. This happens a lot, unfortunately.
Please put it outside to care for it properly. There are many sites dedicated to the care and feeding of Juniper.
[url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html]Here[/url] is a basic over view of how to care for Junipers. There are others and everyone here will be willing to answer any questions you have about it.
Just a couple more things. Does your tree have any stones glued to the top of the soil? If so they need to be pried/picked off. When you water the tree does the water run through and out the drainage holes freely or puddle on the surface? Where are you located?
Please answer these questions and we will be happy to help from there.

Big Vine

I'm a big fan of Schefflera arboricola (a.k.a. 'Hawaiian Umbrella Tree') as well. They are one of the very few plants suitable for bonsai which will grow in an indoor environment with relatively poor lighting and low humidity. That said, they benefit greatly from supplemental fluorescent lighting, so situating in a fairly bright room (lots of windows; preferrably south/east-facing) along with some fluorescent lighting would get you off to a great start, and the Scheffs will thrive under these conditions; particularly if you also add humidity trays to the mix.

The two main downsides I see to Scheffs:
-long-stemmed compound leaves
-relatively poor branching habits

These traits are considered as undesirable by many bonsai enthusiasts because they all contribute to a plant which has a tendency to be fairly 'leggy' with poor ramification. However, 'legginess' and poor branching need not be a problem if one employs the clip & grow method with reduction-building techniques. Also, training toward a banyan or similar styling which lends itself toward the creation of an overall canopy shape/silhouette---enhanced by also taking advantage of the plants' strong tendency toward aerial root formation---can often overcome the undesirable traits mentioned earlier.

In other words, the so-called 'undesirables' mentioned earlier can actually be used to your advantage if you are willing to consider tropical styling options.
BV

Marsman
Green Thumb

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22268]Yes, a Schefflera can get a bit leggy[/url].

fallnroc

I want the indoors bonsai for many reasons. Mostly so I can enjoy them all day and night. Outside plant would be out of sight out of mind and only during the day could I really enjoy it. As for how many I want that depends on if I'm able to keep them alive. I want to start with at least three and if they make it then the sky is the limit. I do have the habit of over doing things I enjoy. If I am able to keep my bonsai alive and well then twenty or even thirty trees would be in the picture. I live in Montgomery Texas in and condo facing east. I only get direct sun for about 4 or 5 hours after that it is just light and then shaded. This is the only windows I have. Now in this part of Texas summer is hot and humid. I'm thinking about installing a screen front on the padio to help keep it cooler and keep out the bugs. Any sujustions on what bonsai would be best for me to start with please speak up!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”