denvella
Newly Registered

Bonsai Zelkova (Probable Chinese Elm)

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a bonsai zelkova as stated on its label. Currently I noticed that some of the leaves are falling off and also it seems to be taking a bit of a yellowish colour on some leaves.

I keep this plant indoors all the time and on my desk table which is infront of a glass balcony door.

When I bought the bonsai it is potted in a plastic pot.

Can anyone please tell me why the leaves are falling down and turning yellow and shall I re pot it in a clay type pot ?

Thanks all

Hope I get some good feedback I am really new to bonsai and feel attracted to them from before I bought one

djlen
Green Thumb

Welcome denvella,

Zelkova is an out door tree and will not do well inside. It needs a period of dormancy in the Winter to rest for it's growing season in the spring.
Your tree will not be happy and eventually die if kept indoors.
You need to acclimate it to cooler and then colder temps. and then put it outside so it can go dormant for the rest of the Winter. It will lose it's leaves and grow new ones in the Spring.
How cold is it outside in your area at this time?

Marsman
Green Thumb

Welcome, Den. We'd be happy to help you out.

First off, [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]post a picture[/url] of your tree so we can see what we are working with.

Second, how often are you watering it? Too much will kill it as fast as not enough.

It could just be the shock of the new environment that's making the leaves yellow and drop off.

Let us see you tree and we can go from there.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

denvella,

Unless your tree was purchased from a reputable dealer I would be surprised if it is actually a Zelkova as stated. Almost without fail, anytime we see mallsai being sold as Zelkova they are really Chinese Elms. My understanding is that this is done to skirt restrictions on the importation of Elms into some countries.

[url=https://img255.imageshack.us/I/zelelmzz6.jpg/][img]https://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2258/zelelmzz6.th.jpg[/img][/url]

The image on the left is a Zelkova while the other is a Chinese Elm.

Norm

EDIT: For reference a U.S. quarter Dollar is just over 24MM
Last edited by Gnome on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denvella
Newly Registered

Thanks for the immediate replies to all below is the link of a picture I took

I am watering it about 2 spoons in the morning only and keeping it on my desk

[img]https://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac58/denvella/Picture0007.jpg[/img]

I am considering whether I will buy the bonsai a clay pot

Tell me what you think

denvella
Newly Registered

during the day the normal temp varies from 20 - 24 degrees

during the night it goes down to 14 degrees

I'm not putting it out at the moment because its windy and since its only 30cm tall I think it might get flown away

P.S. I have another bonsai tree which I don't know what kind it is I bought these two with cheap prices from the market I will post the other bonsai's picture later

Thanks all

djlen
Green Thumb

Before proceeding please refer to the post by Gnome and it's pictures of the differences in leaf size and structure. Zelkova has larger more pointed leaves which also have ridges in them. Elms have smaller, smoother leaves with much rounder ends.
It's an important distinction you have to make because one tree can be Wintered in doors and one cannot. In any case the amount of light you're showing in the picture appears to be too dim for either tree.
Please reply with your estimation of which tree you have. My guess is that you have a Chinese Elm which was mis-labeled Zelkova. What do you think?

denvella
Newly Registered

it could be that I am just trying to figure it out myself. Thanks for the reply all any info would help me out to grow this bonsai I will try and adjust it to outdoor and semi indoor environment because I wish it will stay inside.

Thanks all for the help and information

:) I will be posting the other bonsai tree that I have which I don't know what type it is... maybe I could get some help about it :)

djlen
Green Thumb

Well, here's the thing. If it's a Chinese Elm it can spend considerable time indoors if well lit and some extra humidity is given. If it's a Zelkova it cannot remain inside the house and be expected to thrive.
Just trying to help with the I.D. in order to advise you.
Your tree.......your choice.

denvella
Newly Registered

Dear all

Thanks for the beginners tips...

I lately made repotting of the bonsai mentioned above but noticed that alot of leaves are turning yellow and also falling off can anyone tell me what the problem might be

I am not giving alot of water since I read that after repotting it must be put inside and with not alot of water

Thanks to all who help in this blog :)

Cheers

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

denvella,

You're watering practice concerns me, and I apologize for not catching it earlier. You should always water thoroughly, not in small portions. Please refer to this in order to better understand proper watering.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479

What type of soil have you used in your recent re-potting? Pictures?

Norm

maveriiick

djlen wrote:Before proceeding please refer to the post by Gnome and it's pictures of the differences in leaf size and structure. Zelkova has larger more pointed leaves which also have ridges in them. Elms have smaller, smoother leaves with much rounder ends.
It's an important distinction you have to make because one tree can be Wintered in doors and one cannot. In any case the amount of light you're showing in the picture appears to be too dim for either tree.
Please reply with your estimation of which tree you have. My guess is that you have a Chinese Elm which was mis-labeled Zelkova. What do you think?
Just for my knowledge, which one can be wintered indoors? Zelkova or Elm? I though both could go either way, with outdoor dormancy providing better vigor in the spring for either?

djlen
Green Thumb

maveriiick wrote:
Just for my knowledge, which one can be wintered indoors? Zelkova or Elm? I though both could go either way, with outdoor dormancy providing better vigor in the spring for either?
In my opinion, neither tree should be kept indoors to over-Winter for the long term.
There is a school of thought that says that U.parvifolia can be kept inside year round and still thrive without dormancy/rest. However I have not read reports from anyone who has kept them for longer than 2 - 3 years in this way and I question the long term health of an Elm which is not permitted to go into complete dormancy.
However I am from the old school and absolutely could be wrong. I guess time will tell.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”