SteveP

Black Monkey Thorn, outstanding!

Hi Guys,

Been a while ;-) Just thought I'd share this, I'm attempting to grow several different trees from seed. This particular type however, is outstanding, and looks like a superb bonsai subject.

If anyone's interested, soak the seed for 24 hours, bore a small hole in the casing with the point of a sharp knife, and leave to soak for another 24. Plant in heated propagator, standard organic compost, and this is what you get after only 3 weeks!!

[img]https://www.lockipedia.co.uk/bon/monkey.JPG[/img]

I've got two others, which are both doing well, but not admittedly quite as impressively as this one. Growth rate on this is about 3/4" a day!

Steve

djlen
Green Thumb

Looks like you are putting your 'propagator' to good use Steve.
Nice work!!!

maveriiick

Is this the same thing as a Brazilian Rain tree? Leaves close at night in the dark?

SteveP

Cheers Len! All four are crammed full at the moment!

Maveriick, it's an Acacia Burkei... the leaves do close at night, but I think they're South African originally??

Decado
Green Thumb

Where did you find the seeds?

SteveP

I got the seeds off E-Bay, believe it or not... one of those 'ah sod it, I'll see what happens' things. Had bad experiences on there before with seeds that weren't viable. These are great though!

Decado
Green Thumb

Was it from this seller? https://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Monkey-Thorn-Unusual-Bonsai-Fresh-Seeds_W0QQitemZ310190595899QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN?hash=item4838ccdf3b

SteveP

Yup, that's the fellow!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”