bonsaidude
Cool Member

discoloration of trunk ( Chinese elm )

Ok so ive talked about this problem with this area on these fourms and I'm pretty sure the final determination was insect damage, becuase I saw some little things crawling around near the trunk area. Since then ive treated it with a 3 in 1 ortho insecticide and seems to be helpin havent seen anything crawling around yet I'm pretty sure. My guestion is this area has looked like this kinda since I got it and has gotten worse becuase I diddnt know I had a problem with these little buggers, just is this area going to heal its self or has way to much damage been done ? cuase its a veryyyyyyyy big eye sore and makin me bummed and hope this white color goes away. So will he heal him or can I do somthing to help ? also is there a different problem going on here.

Notice red circle this ( root, leg ) it once had bark all around it ( can see were bark started) but since damage has been done it has gotten brittle and feel off. The part left is still strong and sturdy but sad it lost all the bark around it. Can also kinda see the "gall " were I think alot of it was takin place right in the middle above circle on left side.
[img]https://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8298/colordis003.jpg[/img]

Top pic is right side bottom is left side ( Pics have flash on to make it easier to see so its not that intense a of white color but pretty dam close :( )
[img]https://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8060/colordis002.jpg[/img]

bonsaidude
Cool Member

Did I stump ya guys ?

Kree

What's the white stuff on the trunk? There's quite a bit of it. Try to scrape it off with a knife, is it powdery? When scraping try not to cut the actual tree trunk.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

uhhhh I couldn't tell ya what that white stuff is lol thats what I'm asking you guys. I don't know if I wanna scrape at it just yet I'm waiting to here from one of the big rigs from this site and what I should do if they feel like answering. Its not exactly powdery cause I try to kinda brush it off with something and nothing happened still was there ( idk maybe if took a knife and tried to scrape it off something might happen but I'm a beginner and diddnt want to hurt him ).

Marsman
Green Thumb

Try an old tooth brush and some water to get it off.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

That helped alot thanks a ton maybe 1 or 2 more times and hell be nice and better thank you.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”