himanth
Newly Registered

Ficus Retusa

Hey people,
https://lh4.ggpht.com/_8r77zZmWdhI/S2qECDq19FI/AAAAAAAAAJQ/hjGCBEmtKJA/s576/P040210_11.20.jpg

Now that is a picture of the Bonsai (Ficus Restusa) I purchased a few days ago. A few people on this forum were kind enough to help me identify which bonsai it is and now I know what it's called!
First of all, I live in the middle eastern region, Dubai in particular which has a desert's climate. As of now it's the winter season and tempertures during the day do not go beyond 35 deg celsius (95 deg farenheit). But we are raring the bonsai indoors which is climate controlled and the temperature inside ranges between 20 deg celsius (68 deg farenheit) to 25 deg celsius (77 deg farenheit). I would like to know what the appropriate temperature is to grow a bonsai. I have placed the tree in the center of my living room which has an adequate amount of natural light that flows in through large glass panels.
Second, towards the end of March and beginning of April is when the summer season starts setting in. By the end of April or beginning of May and until September temperatures outside reach 54 deg celsius (129 deg farenheit). These numbers are for real, I have lived here for the last 8 years almost now and summers are only getting hotter by the year. I pointed the temperatures out because in some websites I read that the trees should be kept outside under the sun during summers but I don't think it's the right thing to do when living in this region. Please confirm and let me know what's needed for y bonsai and what isn't.

Looking forward to your replies.

maveriiick

https://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/ficus.html

"Temperature: Hardy in zones 10B through 11. With the exception of F. carica, most Ficus are tropical, and require temperatures above 55F. An excellent choice for an indoor bonsai. Indoor Ficus appreciate being brought outdooors during summer. Does not like draughts."

They are tropical I think grow wild in Tropical zones like malasia I think. Best best is to try a gradual outside placement but ensure the soil does not dry out for too long.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

himanth,
I pointed the temperatures out because in some websites I read that the trees should be kept outside under the sun during summers but I don't think it's the right thing to do when living in this region. Please confirm and let me know what's needed for y bonsai and what isn't.
I think you are correct to be cautious. Your tree could probably be placed outside now, during your winter, perhaps with some shade cloth. The highs of nearly 130F in summer gives me cause for concern though. This climate is so different than mine that I find it difficult to make recommendations.

Ficus do like high humidity which, I suspect, will be a problem for you inside or out. Check into something called a humidity tray, I think it is described in our general tips thread you already read. Also, the spray bottle you mentioned earlier should be employed to mist the tree, it is inadequate for general watering though.

Jerry Meislik grows Ficus indoors year round because of his weather but in his case it's because of cold weather rather than hot weather. He could, as could you I suspect, move his trees outside for part of the year but has instead decided to avoid the back and forth and keep his Ficus indoors permanently.
[url]https://www.bonsaihunk.us/pic/Halide/1Ceilingtrim.jpg[/url]

I linked to his site in your other thread but here it is again, he is a recognized authority on Ficus.
https://www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html

As to why many sites advise putting trees outside; this is indeed preferable for many species in many climates but, as usual, when making blanket statements sometimes the advice won't fit.

Norm

himanth
Newly Registered

Norm,
But considering the fact that winter is a period of dormancy for bonsais should it be kept outside in the sun now?

I still haven't soaked the tray into a sink of water for the fear of losing soil. We've decided to buy a sufficient amount of soil and then try soaking the tray so that the lost soil can immediately be replaced. Therefore, what is the best soil for this particular tree? Is there only one kind I shoud look for?

When the tree was purchased, it came with what looks like iron wires bound on the trunk and branches. I assume it's to prevent drooping of branches and hold the branches together but is it a right practice? Will the rusting of these metal wires cause damage to the plant?

Also the tray holding the plant seems to be glazed inside and outside, does it cause suffocation?

hp

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

himanth,
But considering the fact that winter is a period of dormancy for bonsais should it be kept outside in the sun now?
Winter is the time for dormancy when dealing with temperate trees. Ficus do not have the same type of dormancy requirement that those types of trees have and you don't have winter. :wink:

Whether or not your tree should go outside in your climate is another matter. Ficus are known for dropping their leaves when moved or exposed to a different environment so it may not be prudent to move it again so soon.
I still haven't soaked the tray into a sink of water for the fear of losing soil.
Before you even consider moving it outside you need to address it's basic needs, watering in particular. My reading of your two threads leaves me with the impression that you have yet to truly saturate your soil. If I understand correctly, it is imperative that you water your tree properly. There is no need to totally submerge the pot, just below the rim is sufficient. By looking at the soil it is unlikely that much will be displaced.

If you still are concerned then water it from above as you should be doing anyway. I only suggested submersion as a sort of emergency measure in order to re-wet, what looks to me to be, a very dry medium. Please, whatever method you employ, water your tree thoroughly. Have you read the thread that was suggested earlier?
Therefore, what is the best soil for this particular tree? Is there only one kind I shoud look for?
What, are you looking for a fight? Just kidding, soil composition is not as straight forward as it might seem. Have a look at [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422]this[/url] but don't make any impulsive decisions.
Also the tray holding the plant seems to be glazed inside and outside, does it cause suffocation?
Usually the glaze does not entirely cover the inside. This is not really an issue though as even an unglazed bonsai pot is fired at high temperatures effectively stopping the transpiration of water. This is different than low-fired pots (Terra-Cotta) pots that you may be familiar with.
When the tree was purchased, it came with what looks like iron wires bound on the trunk and branches. I assume it's to prevent drooping of branches and hold the branches together but is it a right practice? Will the rusting of these metal wires cause damage to the plant?
Wiring is usually done in order to manipulate the branches for aesthetic reasons. Generally Copper or Aluminum is used and the usual practice is to remove them before the tree is damaged. If the branch has not 'set' then the wires are replaced for another period of time.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”