carmel
Newly Registered

New Juniper Bonsai questions

I just purchased a Juniper Bonsai and would prefer to keep it indoors. Is this possible? If so, what should I do re: sun and watering. I have a south facing window area that I could put it in for morning sun. Should I water it twice a week? If I put the pot in water once a week, should the water go over the soil or just thru the bottom? How long should it sit in water? Should I take it outdoors for several hours then bring it in at night? Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is my first Bonsai.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

carmel,

Hello and welcome.
I just purchased a Juniper Bonsai and would prefer to keep it indoors. Is this possible?
In a word, no. Junipers are one of the worst species to try to keep indoors. Of course you can keep a tree in an artificial environment, for a juniper this will mean excellent lighting, higher humidity than most homes have, and a cold period for a winter dormancy. If you can provide all of this then perhaps you can manage it.

Far better though to keep a Juniper outside where nature handles all of the above for you. You don't mention what the weather is like where you live or if you have any outdoor options. Also how was the tree managed before you got it?

Look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479]here[/url] for tips on watering.

If you want to do bonsai indoors there are much better choices available to you.

Norm

carmel
Newly Registered

Thanks. I live in northern CA so we occasionally have frost at night. Should I bring the tree inside on cold nights where we might get frost? I was told that I should put it outside atleast 5 hours a day in filtered sunlight. I assume bringing a plant in and outside is not a good thing. I would like to enjoy it in my livingroom in the evening hours. Is this OK if I keep it outside in the daytime?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

carmel,
I live in northern CA so we occasionally have frost at night. Should I bring the tree inside on cold nights where we might get frost?
No, the occasional light frost won't be a problem for an acclimated Juniper. I might err on the side of caution this year though. After a full summer/fall/early winter outside the plant will be ready for your weather.
I was told that I should put it outside atleast 5 hours a day in filtered sunlight. I assume bringing a plant in and outside is not a good thing.
I agree with your assessment, I tend to move my things around as little as possible.
I would like to enjoy it in my livingroom in the evening hours. Is this OK if I keep it outside in the daytime?
I would limit indoor time to special occasions only, if you wish to pursue indoor bonsai then you should look to tropicals species.

https://www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html

Norm

carmel
Newly Registered

I have been bringing the Bonsai inside at night as we have been having cold wet weather. Is this wrong to do? I am concerned about it getting too much water.

From what you are saying, it sounds like I should not bring it inside on a regular basis to enjoy during the evening hours.

djlen
Green Thumb

carmel wrote:I have been bringing the Bonsai inside at night as we have been having cold wet weather. Is this wrong to do? I am concerned about it getting too much water.

From what you are saying, it sounds like I should not bring it inside on a regular basis to enjoy during the evening hours.
Junipers can handle the colder temps. Since your tree has become used to being inside it may be a bit tender so I would suggest putting it outside, in a covered/protected area such as under an eave of the house, for a week or two. Once it adapts it can be placed anywhere outside and will be just fine.
Junipers need the outdoor environment in order to thrive. Your tree will be much happier out doors all the time. If, at some time you have company and wish to bring it inside for a few hours it would be OK with that, but they are not meant to live inside.
In my opinion, it will die unless you come to realize that it's happier and healthier outside......period!!!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”