ChaseG
Newly Registered

looking to get some help on bonsai from a seed

I'm new at this but I got time and nothing to do with it. looking for tips on every aspect of bonsai from seed, I'm looking for a jedi master to teach me. oh and also I'm kind of poor welll not poor but I cant go buy all the high tech lights and special stuff just enough to get buy with a cool lookn bonsai. if anyone can give me tips step by step instructions or where I can find a helpful source it would be much appreciated

Chase

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Chase,

Hello and welcome to the site. I see from your post in the intro forum that you're currently in an apartment, this immediately sets some boundaries upon how you should approach your new obsession, err hobby.

Certain plants simply are not suited to indoor culture so it's a good thing you asked first. For instance, most Pines are ill suited to indoor culture, as are most Maples. For indoor culture you are going to want to look to tropical or sub-tropical species. Ficus and Schefflera are two of the most common but by no means the only ones.

Starting from seed is another thing to consider carefully. This is a very much a long-term endeavor that is fraught with many potential problems. When I start anything from seed I always start as many seeds as I can, at least dozens, sometimes hundreds. This is due to the many pitfalls that I alluded to above. Many seeds don't germinate, many simply seem not to thrive, many more succumb to the fairly rigorous root pruning that I inflict upon all seedlings at their first re-potting. I could go on but I think you get the idea.

So, I strongly suggest that you scrap the seedling concept and instead look to easily available starter material, you will save yourself a lot of grief. If you are insistent about the seedlings at least take a two pronged approach. That way you will be able to focus on actual bonsai at the same time you are growing out your seedlings.

This is just to get you started thinking, ask some more questions and you will get more answers, we simply cannot impart to you, what for many becomes, a life time of learning in a few paragraphs.

Norm

JerseyBonsai

Hey guys,

Great advice Norm, I think this would be your best option Chase. I know how your feeling. I'm fairly new to the hobby, and my first idea was to start a bonsai from seedling :lol: This site is great and will help you with any snags /problems you may encounter on the road to this great new hobby.
I've just recently started to dive in to the germinating process. I've got some redwood and boxwoods fighting to break through their shells as we speak :D But I do have Chinese Elm and Juniper that I'm also training on and have learned a lot from. It definitely makes sense to get some hands on work with some nursery stock before you start from seeds, as Norm mentioned there are lots of more variables that come into play.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”