SteveP

Propagating in water

Well it's the first time I've done it, and I'm vaguely in the dark over the whole thing.

I've had shot glasses all over the windowsill, with a cutting in each, until I came up with this solution.

[img]https://www.lockipedia.co.uk/bon/tcup.JPG[/img]
[img]https://www.lockipedia.co.uk/bon/tcup2.JPG[/img]

It's a lovely old cider glass, with some hard foam cut in two concentric circles, holes cut in the top for the cuttings. Light for the bottom, light for the top, and more I'd have thought, given the whiteness.

Any comments, suggestions??? (Sagaretia by the way :-) )

Happy New Year All, by the way ;-)

tahota
Newly Registered

I would keep a flourescent light about an inch from the top of the plant. You should also take care that the cuttings have plenty of humidity and air circulation. A twice-daily misting would greatly increase your chances of success.

djlen
Green Thumb

You will have not issues at all with them rooting for you Steve. All you need now is a bit of patience and a few weeks and you will have a forest planting if you want that. :)
I love Sagetaria. Easy and fun and they tend to fill out nicely in the branch department.

You have a PM, btw.

SteveP

Hi Tahota, cheers ;-) I've not got any indoor lights for them, that's next year's addition to the armoury! A good misting never goes amiss though ;-)

Hi Len, I know, I know, you're right lol... I just like to see things happening; it annoys me when they don't! I don't have a PM by the way, I think something must have gone adrift!

Cheers!
Steve

djlen
Green Thumb

Yes, I got a note from Norm about it and I just sent another PM off similar to the first. I appreciate the mats and your effort.
If you have any questions regarding the Sagaretia let me know. I'm having really good luck with them. I've got a couple of little 'forests' started...lol.
They should do OK by the window but obviously they will improve from a growth perspective with a Compact Fluorescent fixture and a screw-in CF bulb. It shouldn't cost you more than $10 - $12 dollars for the whole thing.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”