maveriiick

Grewia Issue?

I have a number of Grewia (occidentalis/caffra?) bonsai that are alive and growing, but the newer foliage appears to be distorted, somewhat transparent and/or brownish in some areas. I suspect it is a nutrient deficiency but unsure exactly (I.e. magnesium, copper, etc????) I don't over water and have slow release fertilizer on the soil. Any ideas? Only happens on the new leaves and these leaves will drop off with new growth repeating the same issues?

What commonly causes new leaves to deform with brownish streaks that fall off, yet the plant continues to put out new leaves?

I'll post pictures soon.

djlen
Green Thumb

This plant tends to become Chlorotic at times. It would probably respond positively to an Fe supplement. Also, it you have some MirAcid or any fertilizer for acid loving plants, this will probably help. Try a 1/2 dose first and see how it goes. You should see a difference very quickly.

Do you dose any of the micros? If so which ones?

maveriiick

Pics:

[img]https://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/victoriiinox/IMG_0919.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/victoriiinox/IMG_0920.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/victoriiinox/IMG_0921.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/victoriiinox/IMG_0924.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/victoriiinox/IMG_0925.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/victoriiinox/IMG_0926.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/victoriiinox/IMG_0928.jpg[/img][/img]

FLBonsai
Cool Member

maveriiick,

All I know is that this same exact deformity occurred in a young Chinese elm I have after it's trunk was severely split. Only the first two or so new sprouts seemed to be really shocked by this and the rest sprouted normal.

maveriiick

FLBonsai wrote:maveriiick,

All I know is that this same exact deformity occurred in a young Chinese elm I have after it's trunk was severely split. Only the first two or so new sprouts seemed to be really shocked by this and the rest sprouted normal.
I'm trying a new fertilizer (acidic) for a little while to see of it relates to chlorosis or a magnesium deficiency. I'll followup in a few weeks.

djlen
Green Thumb

maveriiick wrote:

I'm trying a new fertilizer (acidic) for a little while to see of it relates to chlorosis or a magnesium deficiency. I'll followup in a few weeks.
If no luck or only partial recovery, and you are not using a Micro supplement with extra Fe I would try that as a next step.
Mg should be a part of every dosing regimen IMO. It is a great help in the uptake of nutrients. I dose extra Mg in form of Epsom Salts, in my water bucket as a rule so that the plants get it with their regular feeding.
I'm not into this indoor stuff for a very long time, but I push my plants with extra light and find that the more light I give them the greater the possibility for nutrient deficiency.

maveriiick

djlen wrote:
maveriiick wrote:

If no luck or only partial recovery, and you are not using a Micro supplement with extra Fe I would try that as a next step.
Mg should be a part of every dosing regimen IMO. It is a great help in the uptake of nutrients. I dose extra Mg in form of Epsom Salts, in my water bucket as a rule so that the plants get it with their regular feeding.
I'm not into this indoor stuff for a very long time, but I push my plants with extra light and find that the more light I give them the greater the possibility for nutrient deficiency.
Do you have any recommends in microsupplements? Also what is your preparation regime for epsom salts (I.e. 1/4 tsp in 1 litre of water?)

djlen
Green Thumb

Are you dosing Micros as part of your regular dosing regimen?
If not all plants will benefit by the addition of the Mics. Fe will come with a Micro supplement.
I mix three different ferts. Two of them, an all purpose by Miracle Gro (24-8-15), and Peters for Flowering Plants (15-30-15) are mixed in 3gal. containers and I add 1/2tsp. of Mg (Epsom Salts) to that along with 10mls. of trace mix.
The MirAcid is mixed in a 1/2gal. jug and I add 1/4tsp. Mg and 5mls. of trace to that. The plants are doing really well since I started dosing extra Micros to them.
I have tweeked the dosages over time to find what works best for me. I only make one change at a time in order to judge what works best for the plants. If you make more than one you won't know which one was missing.
I would see how the MirAcid works and go from there.

maveriiick

djlen wrote: I mix three different ferts. Two of them, an all purpose by Miracle Gro (24-8-15), and Peters for Flowering Plants (15-30-15) are mixed in 3gal. containers and I add 1/2tsp. of Mg (Epsom Salts) to that along with 10mls. of trace mix.
What is your "trace mix"?

Also is 1/2 teaspoon of epsom in 3 gallons of water correct?

djlen
Green Thumb

I use a mix I've been using in my planted tanks (aquariums) for 25 years because I know how to dose it and I trust it.
It's called Plantex CSM+B (Boron) and it's cheap and effective in both aquatic and non-aquatic plants. It's $12 a pound which would last you a long time.
Here are the ingredients:

Total magnesium - water soluble chelated magnesium 1.5%

Copper - chelated 0.1%

Iron - chelated 7.0%

Manganese - chelated 2.0%

Molybdenum 0.06%

Zinc - chelated 0.40%

EDTA - minimum content 55%

I have always added extra Mg. I find it's harmless and very effective for uptake.
This probably sounds a bit over the top but I've been mixing nutrients for so long that it's second nature to me.
In aquariums one injects CO2 into the water table. Carbon is the main building block for plants. You're not supposed to need it with the plants we're talking about, but I wonder if it might be really helpful for the plants I'm raising in turface which contains no elements.
I've got a liquid Carbon I will test, but as I mentioned before I'm still testing and don't add more than one ingredient at a time.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”