wayne barnier

Desert Rose Problems

Hello everyone,I have wrote about my problems with my desert rose plant!I have a big desert rose plant that has about 6-7 limbs thjat come off the main trunk.One of the limbs are turning a brownish color,from the tip to about three quarters down the limb!The end where the leaves and flowers sprout out,is wrinkled up,and cracked!In the last couple days I have noticed that a tip of another branch is starting to wrinkle up!I have the tree in a south east doorwall,with my black olive,and birds of paridise plants!They are doing great!!I have been giving them light 120 watt(blue bulb)at least 2-3 extra hours a day!!I have not watered this plant much, maybe once a month,maybe not that much!!The tree hasn't had any leaves for about a month and a half!My camera is broken,and have not had a chance to get it fixed yet!Could the tips be drying out due to a lack of water?How wet should the soil be?I have a moisture meter,and it is reading really dry!What should it be reading?The meter has dry,moist,and wet.How often should I be watering the plant,and how much at a time?Also is their a chance the branch that is turning brownish is it possible it will come back,and if not should I prune it in now,or in the spring?Thanks again, Wayne p.s. live in Michigan

FLBonsai
Cool Member

Wayne,

I would start by soaking or giving your desert rose a full watering (water till it drains wait 15min repeat wait 15mins repeat once more). Even succulents need a little more regular watering than once a month. If it is kept warm and the other plants you have are doing fine I would guess that it just needs some water.

Notice any bugs on your desert rose?

What kind of soil is your desert rose in and do you ever keep it outside?

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”