wayne barnier

Bonsai fertilizer

Hello, The last couple years I have been looking for a good all around fertilizer that will benifit most of my plants!I recently went into a michigan based greenhouse,and they told me to try Alaskan Fish Fertilizer saying its all natural and it don't smell the greatest,but it really works!Can anyone tell me about this fertilizer,and what kind of plants it would benifit?Thanks again!!! Wayne

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Wayne,

My only experience with this product was as a component when mixing homemade fertilizer cakes. The entire process was not that pleasant but I can't attribute that exclusively to the fish extract, there were other 'organic' ingredients included. My end product seemed impressive at first but became moldy very quickly and attracted Fungus Gnats so I never made them again. So I can't comment on using this exclusively. Has anyone else used this stuff?

Norm

djlen
Green Thumb

Years ago "Fish Emulsion" was all the rage as Bonsai fertilizer. I remember trying it with similar results that Norm reports above. It attracted everything from gnats to squirrels in my experience..
I have always used Miracle Grow products with what seem to me to be similar results as I got with any of the "Natural" fertilizers. I use a diluted Peter's 20-20-20 for most of my plants (indoor) in the winter with good results and any one of three Miracle Grow products, depending on application/need, during the growing season.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not a bonsai grower, but I have used fish emulsion for indoor and outdoor plants. However, I gave it up. I don't really know how well it works. It drives the cats and other creatures wild! :) We have cats indoors and cats, raccoons and other creatures outdoors. The plants always get dug up when the critters are trying to get to the fish...

wayne barnier

Thanks everyone for your input!!!!Is 20-20-20 fertilizer good for almost all bonsai trees, Black olive,Fukien Tea,Desert Rose,birds of paridise,elms,ect.I am looking for a good all around fertilizer that I can use on most of my trees!Can anyone recommend a good all around fertilizer or fertilizers,for these trees?And recommend where to find it at a good price?I have started giving my plants that stuff called super thrive about a month ago!Thanks again, Wayne

djlen
Green Thumb

20-20-20 is an excellent blend for most trees. Miracle Gro or Peters makes that blend. I buy whichever is cheaper or on sale at the time.
Be careful with the Adenium (desert rose). I would get something a little milder in Nitrogen content. Succulents like what I call a 'softer' blend. I use Peters 15-30-15 on my succulents and I'm very careful with the Adenium and cut even that a bit, maybe to 1/2 strength.
The 15-30-15 is also more conducive to flowering plants so if you ever get into Sageretia or Serissa, that would be a nice blend for them. I even feed it occasionally to my Fukien Teas to support flowering.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”