djlen
Green Thumb

Humidity Trays for the Plant Room

How do you keep them from turning into a swamp with algae etc.?

Over the years I've had the necessity to add humidity to my plant area and have used the stone/water humidity trays under the plant stands with good success.
The only issue is how to keep them clean and free of the slime that accumulates in them over time.
Is there a product or that I can at to the water to inhibit the growth of that stuff in my trays?

applestar
Mod

I haven't used the product so this is just an idea, but I wonder if Barley Straw Extract, sold for keeping ponds and water features free of algae might not be perfect for this application? The only trick is in getting it in small enough quantity -- I suspect you'll only need a few drops at a time. Hm... A quick google search yielded an 8 oz bottle for $10.

JTred
Green Thumb

I found this online https://www.algone.com/algaecides.php

Before you go out and buy something try out a few things you might have at home: sodium bicarbonate, weed killer, maybe even dish soap. Since you aren't trying to grow anything else in the humidity tray I'd assume that you could use just about any plant poison. I wouldn't recommend bleach as that evaporates and could harm your trees.

djlen
Green Thumb

Thank you both for the replies. I will try some of your suggestions and see what works. The baking soda would be great if it keeps the algae down, as it is very cheap and easy to get.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Hydrogen Peroxide will help keep algae down, just use a little bit and it'll keep the water free of algae and mold. It'll also help with root rot if any roots reach the water.

djlen
Green Thumb

H2O2......who would have thought it. Another great suggestion. I'm sure I'm going to fine something that works great out of all these home remedies.
:)

A product that was also recommended to me is called Physan 20 which is made just for this purpose.
Anyone ever use it?

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I think that, assuming the water is uncontaminated, it will not get algae. Maybe you could place a smaller dish inside the humidity tray to prevent the soil from contaminating it.

SteveP

If it helps anybody;

I use sponge-based beer towels under the pots, holds the moisture, but gives it up equally well. Seems to work well; soak it, ups the relative humidity by 10% as a rule.

I've got a couple spare if anyone wants them.

djlen
Green Thumb

bonsaiboy wrote:I think that, assuming the water is uncontaminated, it will not get algae. Maybe you could place a smaller dish inside the humidity tray to prevent the soil from contaminating it.
Not sure exactly what you mean by this bonsaiboy.
I don't sit my plants in or right on the humidity trays. I just fill them with water and put them under the plant stand. Not sure how effective this is but my forced hot air plays havoc with room moisture and currently I'm using just two trays (21" X 11") and my room humidity is holding in the low 40's.
Not satisfied with this so I intend to add a couple more trays at a time until I can get 50% at least.

Steve, I'm unfamiliar with "beer towels". :)
Can you elaborate or send us a picture?

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

What I meant is to place a smaller drip tray in the humidity tray so when you water the bonsai, the water drips into the drip tray, leaving the humidity trays water uncontaminated.

djlen
Green Thumb

Okay, now I got it. Thanks.

SteveP

hehehe Hi Len,

No pictures at the moment, but they're about 3ftx8", about 1/8" thick.. rubber bottom, sponge top..

You can soak them silly, tends to get about 10-15% extra rh, and they last all day. No algae, and in my case, no problems with boisterous cat that likes knocking things off windowsills and shelves. I guess they won't be for everybody, but for the three I have, definitely seems to improve things, and low maintenance, plus as you'd expect from a 'bar mat', they don't drip everywhere. :P

Steve

djlen
Green Thumb

Sounds great Steve.
I'm thinking that you need to be in the UK to purchase these things?

SteveP

I've absolutely no idea Len... but I'll send you a couple if you'd like; I've just got another 5 ;-) If they don't work for you, never mind. If they do, great ;-)

The reason my local pub doesn't use them, if they get a pint spilled on them, they hold the liquid, but as soon as you lean on them, they manage to soak your arm. Which gave me the idea. The meter shows 39 (I think) on the pics, but that's at the end of the day. That's what I got *without* it beforehand, all day. Usually peaks around 50.

[img]https://www.lockipedia.co.uk/bon/PIC_0062.JPG[/img]
[img]https://www.lockipedia.co.uk/bon/PIC_0063.JPG[/img]

Sorry for big file sizes.
Steve

djlen
Green Thumb

First of all your trees look nice and healthy. I recognize the Sageretia in the middle. I have one too and it's my favorite tree. I'm propagating more of them as we speak. :)
The one on the left looks like a Black Olive....Yes?
And I'm really curious about the one on the right. What is it?

As to the mats. Do they stay dry on the bottom with the spongy stuff remaining moist? Let me know as I definitely have a use for them. I've never seen anything like that here in America.

SteveP

Hey Len ;-)

First off, Thankyou! I've put incredible amounts of effort and worry into these buggers, despite being a newcomer..

The one on the left is a Japanese Holly, and the one on the right is the Podocarpus. A very overgrown one, but I don't want to touch them until Spring.

The mats are rubber-based, (I was wrong in my previous estimation, probably 1/16th thick) and the top section is sponge. You're welcome to a couple; they come to me free, so why not try them! If they're not as effective in your climate, I can re-recommend them as beer mats :P

Edit : Postage is naturally free! Not only for your help, but years ago, one of your fellow countrymen sent me a *massive* package full of things that are rife in American Culture, but we had no idea. IE. Oreos (at the time), Twinkies.. Herscheys stuff, loads of offer stuff. Repaying the favour time I guess! :P

Cheers!
Steve

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”