djlen
Green Thumb

Podocarpus nivalis

I've raised this plant from a 4" seedling to about 14" high and it's starting to
develop side branching which is exciting as I want to grow it in the Formal
Upright style.
The problem is that the new growth/leaves have started to curl as they come
in and I can't figure out why. It's given regular feeding with each watering at
1/4 strength and also all the micros as a supplement. Also extra Mg as it is
stated everywhere that I read that Mg is much appreciated by Podocarpus
nivalis.
The lighting is adequate.....close to 1000 candle feet, compact and regular
fluorescent.
The soil is well drained and I'm not over watering it. Just wondering if under
watering might be the problem or if someone with more experience with this
plant might lend some insight as to what's going on with it.
It started off very slowly and has taken off nicely. The new growth came in
straight as the leaves are on the rest of the plant. Only recently have they
begun to curl.
Thoughts?

Overall:
[url=https://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/djlen/?action=view&current=IMG_2668a.jpg][img]https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/djlen/th_IMG_2668a.jpg[/img][/url]

Close Up:
[url=https://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/djlen/?action=view&current=IMG_2662a.jpg][img]https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/djlen/th_IMG_2662a.jpg[/img][/url]
[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Len,

Do you think there is any chance that there is an insect problem? I have seen similar malformed new growth before (in other species) only to discover what I believed to be Thrips. Another time I could not ID the culprit but I still think it was an insect problem.

Norm

djlen
Green Thumb

Norm I don't see any but I'm going to spray it before I go to bed and see how it responds.
Just can't figure it out. But insects do fit the profile. It's happened overnight practically. They opened straight and then curled.

djlen
Green Thumb

Well since I sprayed them last night they did open up quite a bit. This morning I flushed the tree in the kitchen sink to clear out any salt or extra nutrients that sometimes tend to accumulate in the planting medium.

I'm checking the humidity level in the plant room with my wife's hydrometer and I'm hinting around for a Min./Max. thermometer/hydrometer for my room from Santa. :) If I'm going to keep trees inside while the forced hot air is on I'm going to have to add extra humidity.

This brings me to another question that I've never had an answer for regarding humidity trays. I will start another thread on that subject.

djlen
Green Thumb

Well the combination of spraying and flushing has worked well and the tree is much improved.....the new growth is straightening out nicely.
Not sure which of the two did the trick but I tend to think this tree needs more frequent watering and the problem was one of dehydration.
It recently had a growth spurt and I think the added growth requires more water an new needles are susceptible to lacking in moisture.
If it had been bugs the growth would probably not have rebounded as well as it has. I find that once Aphids or the like get into your tender growth it remains stunted and mis-shapen even after you get rid of them. These needles are looking very normal....hence the belief that more water was and is required.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Len,

Good, I'm glad things worked out for you.

Norm

djlen
Green Thumb

Thanks Norm

Check your PM's !!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”