djlen
Green Thumb

Fukien Tea? I don't think so!

You know, I've been growing plants for a long time. Bonsai trees (outdoor kind) for longer than many of you have been alive.
I've also had a great degree of luck with Submersed/Aquatic plants as I'm into Aquaria as well.
If there is anything I've learned over the years it's the fact that occasionally there is either a plant that, for whatever reason, I will not be successful with because either it dies or is much more trouble (for me) than it's worth.
And sometimes it's better to just cut your losses and move on.
I have come to that conclusion regarding the Fukien Tea.
Since acquiring the two that I have I've had issues with frequency of watering, drafts, Aphids, Black Spot and some issues that I've not been able to identify. I've researched the tree and it's peculiarities and handled each event as it came. The last month has been wonderful with flowering and an explosion of new growth.
This morning I went to water and discovered that more than 50% of the leaves are black. Totally black!! Yesterday the leaves were all totally green. No idea why or what caused it. I'm disappointed and disgusted after all the time and effort I've put into them.
I have given some advice to folks who've had similar issues as mine with this plant, because I thought I had a handle on what it's needs were.
From now on if someone asks me for advice my answer will be to buy it at your own risk.
There are many, many nice tropicals and subs. out there that are more bug and disease resistant and I'm just going to move on. This is supposed to be relaxing......a hobby. I don't need the stress that I feel over this tree.

maveriiick

I understand your frustration, I have one of my own currently with no issues, just the occasional yellow leaf. I have had some aphids and mealy bugs on it which I treated with alcohol spray and Neem with success. I'll keep my fingers crossed that nothing too serious happens with it.

Stick with the ficus, easy so easy to care for.

manIK

Wow thats some harsh experience there djlen.

I'm just planted a Fukien cutting that finally started rooting (after about three weeks of sitting idle in water) and boy is it ever slow going. No new nothing that I can tell, it's so small!

I wonder if I should just step on it now and be done with it lol! No, but seriously. (; Green to Black overnight? damn...

TomM
Greener Thumb

Having had pretty much the same experience I did my "giving up" on fukien tea 2 years ago, with no regrets. Its' maladies threatened all the other trees in my collection.

Bonsai Nutcase

I will now thank my lucky stars, I have had zero problems with my Fukien Tea's. I am in southern Florida, wonder if that may have something to do with it. Plus it's outside all year so I never have to worry about air circulation or light.
If I had the problems you're having with yours I would've given up, too. But there's so many other choices I'm sure you'll have their spaces filled in no time!

TomM
Greener Thumb

Yeah, we're on to something here. Fukien tea is best grown outdoors in the deep South. We northerners bring it inside and (usually) have a terrible time with it. :roll: In Vietnam it grows like a weed, but not so in RI, USA. Not to say it can't be done - but a big challenge at best.

Similarly junipers should not be grown indoors, as they do best outside in the colder regions. Sometimes we must simply be happy with what our own locale has to offer and provide those with lots of love. Especially when starting out in bonsai. Try to find trees that are happy in your own environment, or come from a very similar one in another part of the world.

I do have a few tropicals in the house - for fun, for entertainment, and mostly for my sanity's sake. But I understand that I must provide lots of light, and humidity, air circulation, and proper temperature variation. Our growing season (outside) is short. So I keep some easy-to-grow indoor bonsai for the learning experience. I'm just not up for the troublemakers. Don't have the time - sorry fukien tea.

maveriiick

I have three Fukien Teas, and one recently dropped all of it's leaves which remained green, and therefore very perplexing for me. It's currently putting out new leaf buds and I'm pretty sure it will be back in no time. The other 2 have done fine and continue to flourish. I keep them all under CFLs and only water them when they are bone dry (similar to cactus) and feed only osmocote fertilizer with occasion fish emulsion. If I see any pests I use either blasts of water in the shower, alcohol misting, or neem spray.

I guess I've been lucky, but I think they can be kept indoors, and IMO it would be the watering aspect that affects this plant's feasibility.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”