wayne barnier

fukien tea questions

Hello everyone,thanks for all you info on the fukien tea!In the last couple days I have done some of your recommended things like misting the tree,buying a moisture meter,I am watering about every 3 days,I have forced air and live in michigan!I have been having a light on it for approx 6-8 hours plus the window light it is in.I have also gotten spring water and using that to get the PH down it is down to approx 7.5!I am starting to see a difference in the flowers,there are about a half dozen that are opened up,where before their were none!Which tells me its getting alot of light!I still am getting alot of leaves turning yellow,with black dots,and falling off at a touch!!If the shipping,or change of climat affected the tree,and the leaves,would all those leaves eventually fall off,and new leaves take their place?I do have new growth!!But even some of the smaller leaves are turning a yellowish color!It does seem to be getting better though!!I am now using a meter,where should the moisture meter read before I water in your opinion?My meter goes from 1-10 with 1 being totally dry,and 10 being totally wet.1-3 is dry,3-7 is moist,7-10 is wet.Where would you get the meter to being its in forced air in Michigan,before watering.And what are the black spots usually from,under watering,or over watering??Thanks for all your time,you guys are the best, Wayne

djlen
Green Thumb

Hi Wayne -

I would not worry too much about the leaves dropping. This, I find is usual for a Fukien. As long as it's looking happy, and flowering you are on the right track. I don't use a moisture meter so I cannot help you with that question.
The leaves on mine sometimes get yellow spots or black/brown ones. I used to be concerned about them but now I just think that when it's ready to drop a leaf show abnormalities appear. Then the leaf will get stiff and brittle and soon drop.
Continue to give 2 - 3 days or whatever works for you and you will see the results and adjust from there.
I will say that I have my lights on a timer and they go on at 7am and off at 11pm. I feed my plants with every watering so that I can force growth that way and it seems to work for me. I think you will find the extra light will be appreciated by your tree. I also want you to be aware of the lessening of light you are getting from the sun as the season continues to change. This will affect your tree's growth and development and should be considered when you are factoring all the variables in.
Don't forget we want to see pictures soon.

wayne barnier

Thanks for all the useful info.I will have pictures up within a week or two!!Thanks for everything!!!!! Wayne

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”