holly5
Newly Registered

Need help with heavenly bamboo

I purchased this sub-tropical bonsai during the summer. It did great after repotting and while outdoors. Since moving indoors it seems to be suffering. I am not sure how to care for it as I do not know what type it is. Can anyone help?

[img]https://home.comcast.net/~liamsennott/pwpimages/DSC03087.JPG[/img]
Last edited by holly5 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Could be a Nandina domestica, or Heavenly Bamboo (not a real bamboo). Not sure, so wait for other input. If this is the case, though, you will need to place it outdoors ASAP.

holly5
Newly Registered

I do believe you are right... heavenly bamboo sounds correct (I vaguely remember them telling me this when I bought it). But, I live in New England and we have already experienced a few hard frosts. Isn't this type a sub-tropical?

holly5
Newly Registered

Is it normal for this plant to drop leaves in the fall? From all that I have read on this bonsai it seems as though it will grow new leaves in the spring, but it is loosing more leaves each day and I fear will be bare soon!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nandina is evergreen and should not lose its leaves unless temps get down to 10 degrees F. The leaves should turn red for the fall and stay on until they are replaced by new leaves in the spring (which start out bronzy and then turn green).

Your plant is suffering. Off hand I would think either not enough light (these are hot weather, full sun plants) and/ or over watering. Do you have supplemental light for it? It is not likely to do well with just window light.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

This shrub is fully temperate and should be kept outdoors. Without a dormant period, it may die.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Bonsaiboy, even in zone 6a, which is what it looks like this poster may be in? I checked hardiness zones for nandina and different sources gave different results, anywhere from hardy only to zone 7, to hardy down to zone 5. I don't know if that is different varieties or just different interpretations. Perhaps they should keep it in a cold room or sheltered location? I live in zone 6b and I don't see it growing around here; I'm mainly familiar with it from visiting friends in North Carolina (zone 7), where it is everywhere.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”