Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Kimmy,
I am a Bonsai novice so have no idea what I should be doing with it at the moment.
Don't worry, we all started out knowing little and progressed from there.
Everyone has told me they are so difficult to look after that I am paranoid about making any changes
There are some things to be aware of but after a while day to day care becomes second nature, don't panic.
I don't know whether it needs re-potting or not?
I'm going to agree with Marsman here, yes it needs re-potting but not until spring. You have some time to learn about this so I won't go there now.

These trees really should have a dormancy period. Do you have an unheated space that is sheltered? Perhaps a shed, garage or does a friend or neighbor have a greenhouse? Also, it will do much better outside during the summer, but again that is not an issue right now.
I don't know whether its too cold on the window ledge?
Definitely not a problem, I allow mine to go completely dormant during the winter so a cool windowsill is not an issue.

Norm

maveriiick

I have a similar situation Chinese elm that I got from a nursery at a reduced price because it was like yours (lost leaves and some brownish yellow). I placed it outside (about 2-3 weeks ago) after removing the surface rocks and moss so I could keep the soil moisture level assessed and watered it only when the soil appeared to have dried. It seems to have stabilized, and I wouldn't expect it to flourish at this time of year.

As such I would recommend you leave it outside on a window sill and let the colder weather take the tree into some dormancy for the winter. Water only when the soil is dry about inch from the surface down. I'm in Toronto and the current day and night temperatures are 10 and 0 degrees CELSIUS respectively. The sun here is intermittent and somewhat winding on occasion. I also have two other health Chinese elms that sit along side and they look just fine. The trees will be in a cold room once the temp drops below zero. You can even put it in the refrigerator, but lighting may still be needed if leaves are still attached I believe.

These trees seem to do better with a bit of cold weather from my understanding.

PS. Lift the tree out of the pot if you can and inspect the soil and roots to see if there are any possible pest (I.e. mealy bugs) and to see if the roots have begun circling the pot equating to the tree being root bound. If the soil feels wet and has been so for a while you may be watering too much. Watering is by far one of the biggest errors when keeping bonsai.
Last edited by maveriiick on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maveriiick

I'm curious, how long and from when to when do most posters place their Chinese Elms into Dormancy? This will be my first winter with my three chinese elms. I read somewhere that one person brought their Chinese Elm indoors in January to allow it to bud out and begin growth. Is that too early?

Marsman
Green Thumb

I don't know whether its too cold on the window ledge?

Definitely not a problem, I allow mine to go completely dormant during the winter so a cool windowsill is not an issue.

Mine's outside dug into the side of the compost heap for the winter. Leaves all dropped. Mine is definitely an outdoor tree. I will not be bringing it in early.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

maveriiick,

My usual practice is to allow a full dormancy, not to bring them inside at all, ever. This past winter though I did try the short dormancy/early spring tactic with one smaller tree and everything is fine with the tree now, it has been outside since last spring and still green. Evidently this species can do well with a brief dormancy but I don't think that I would try to eliminate it entirely.

Norm

djlen
Green Thumb

Kimmy, your plant needs a period of rest or dormancy. I suggest that you put it outside in a protected spot and let the leaves fall as they normally would in nature.
After they fall, put it into a garage or unheated shed where it can be dark because the leaves will be gone and there is no need for light until it comes out of dormancy in the spring.
When the weather warms in your area in March or so, you can take it out and it will come out of dormancy naturally and leaf out for you.
Some people keep these trees inside for long periods of time and although they can survive inside with the proper care, they still need a period of rest which I think is what yours is trying to do currently.
It's seeing the shorter periods of daylight outside and reacting to it by losing it's color in preparation for the winter rest.

Kimmy
Newly Registered

Thank you to everyone who hs commented on my post and given me some advice.

I can completely understand what you are all saying about dormancy and I will follow your advice about letting the leaves drop of and letting it naturally go in to that state. Do you think the weather outside will be too cold it if gets frosty in the mornings or rains quite hard?

We have a weather warning this week and it has been extremely windy. If I leave it on the windowsill indoors will it still go dormant or should I just put it in the shed until the Spring like sugested?

I did spray it with bug spray the other day and the leaves have stopped dropping off as much but I am not sure whether this is just coincidence?

I agree that it may need re-potting but as suggested I will not think about this until the spring.

I worry about putting it out in the summer as we don't get much sun in the UK and it always raining so would it be safe to leave it outside in the summer or should I just put it out during the day and maybe bring it in at night?

Sorry for all teh questions but I just want to make sure that I don't lose my tree.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Kimmy

maveriiick

It should be ok to go outside. I keep mine on the window sill and the temperature is currently dropping to 0 to -1 degrees C here in Toronto. I saw another bonsai enthusiast the other day and he showed me his chinese elm outside in his garden buried with all the foliage still attached. The chinese elm was basically going to be outside all winter and the weather in Toronto can get pretty cold in the winter sometimes averaging -30 degrees C. So my advise is put it into the ground (encased in a nylon sock) and covered with soil, mulch or smal stones, OR keep it in a cold room or garage where the temperature remains around freezing (0 degrees C). Basically protect the roots.

I'm keeping mine in a cold room over the winter in some mulch.

As for summer, this tree will be much happier outside regardless of light levels I would think.

djlen
Green Thumb

Hi Kimmy -

If you're apprehensive about putting it outside which is understandable, I would suggest starting it out under an eave of the house to keep some of the frost off until it can 'harden off' and get used to the colder temps.
Or if you have a shed or garage with a window, particularly a south facing window that would be even better.
The object is to let it cool down gradually and since you're getting a bit of a late start a shed or south side of the house or under an eave of the house would be good options.
Once it loses all it's leave it can be in total darkness as it will be dormant and not need light until warmer weather sets in in the spring.
Please don't be afraid to ask questions. Asking is better than making a huge mistake that will jeopardize the tree.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Here's my baby all dug in for the winter. Can't wait to work on her in the Spring. I have about 3 trees that I'm going to make out of this sprawling monster by air layering different branches and then using the base as a tree as well. The trunk, which is half buried right now, is beautiful!

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Chinese%20Elm/85a1da31.jpg[/img]

djlen
Green Thumb

Wow, the options are endless with it. Good luck!!
Is it an American Elm or a Chinese Elm?

I ask because I've never seen U. parvifolia in my area at a nursery or garden center.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Yep, it's a Chinese Elm.

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Chinese%20Elm/62c5d234.jpg[/img]

Kimmy
Newly Registered

Thank you very much for all your help and comments. I may put it outside under the garden chairs which are stacked in thr corner of the garden next to the house. This will expose it to the elements but not fully.

Thank you all for your advice, I really do appreciate it, you have a great forum here.

Many thanks

Kim

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”