djlen
Green Thumb

Rosemary as Bonsai?

My local Lowe's is practically giving away really nice looking Rosemary plants and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these as an indoor Bonsai subject.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not a bonsai grower, but someone else was just asking about that.

Here's a thread with some pictures of rosemary bonsai:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101421&highlight=rosemary+bonsai#101421

djlen
Green Thumb

Thank you rainbowgardener -
I am going to give this plant a try and see what I can do with it.
Is there anyone else out there who can add more info.?

Rosaelyn

I wish you the best with that, Len. I am no good at keeping Rosemary alive. I've heard these are very difficult to grow inside, but also not very cold hardy. So it may be a no-go in my area. :(

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19780

Keep us up to date on how that goes.

djlen
Green Thumb

Thanks for the reply Rosaelyn....even though it was not a success for you.
I will do some research and then give it my best shot.

I believe that there are 4 plants in the pot that I bought so I have 4 shots at success. :)

I will keep everyone informed.

BTW, since I put the pot in my plant room the scent in the room is like 100% improved....lol.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We have a thread going in Herb Gardening about the difficulties of keeping rosemary going in winter indoors. I have a regular (not bonsai'd) rosemary plant I started from seed the beginning of this year. I brought it in for the winter, but it is not thriving. But hardier varieties of rosemary can make it through winter in zone 7, especially if given protection and southern exposure.

djlen
Green Thumb

I took it back. Despite the good price I just got so much negative feedback about Rosemary grown indoors that I couldn't see fighting it all winter. There were alternatives such as keeping it in the garage by a south facing window etc., but I bought it on a whim thinking it would be a nice indoor plant which now I'm seeing is not the case.
I learned a long time ago with aquatic plants, and also to some degree with some my outdoor trees, that when you come across a plant that will not grow for you, move on. There a just too many that will and I can't see fighting for something when it's supposed to be a fun thing.
So, I'm sure it will end up in a good home. Shame.....nice smell and beautifully full plant that I had envisioned would be a be a nice tree.
Oh well.........

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”