willgood
Newly Registered

coco fiber as growing medium

Does anyone have any experience using coco fiber as a growing medium for their bonsai's? Either pure coco fiber or mixed with something.

JTred
Green Thumb

I'm not familiar with coco fiber, but I have heard of people rooting cuttings in pure sphagnum moss. I'm not sure if anyone has used it for a larger tree. [url=https://www.cleanairgardening.com/coco-fiber-bricks.html]After a quick look online[/url] it looks like coco fiber would be a tad too fine. The fact that it can be formed into a brick is a bit disconcerting to.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I have tried this with a select few mame bonsai. Because the fiber would separate from the sand I added as grit when it was watered, it was useless. Further experiments, however, I am currently conducting (with different forms of grit).

Big Vine

This is something I've looked into as well...

There are several different grades of coconut fiber out there, and my initial findings with compressed products was that they were too fine for my liking---typically resulting in a 'sludge' that was something of a 'saw dust' consistency.

I also came across some bagged products consisting of 'chunks' of coconut husk, but I deemed these to be much too large---and relatively expensive!

Finally, I was recently able to come across a product which seems to fall somewhere in between these two extremes. It is in a 'compressed' disc format, but no addition of water is necessary. It takes a bit more time to separate out the disc by hand, but there's less of a mess in the end. The product is called 'Crop Circles' and is much more fibrous with far LESS of the fines found in the majority of compressed coco products I've been able to come across.

Might be worth looking into.
BV

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”