Rosaelyn

There are white Azaleas. Is this what the flower looked like:

https://www.freshtopiary.com/mas_assets/full/JT-4013SA.jpg

djlen
Green Thumb

Also, the leaves in the pictures you post seem larger in size and in my experience white Azaleas typically come with larger leaves than the colors.

Igmarg
Newly Registered

Rosaelyn wrote:There are white Azaleas. Is this what the flower looked like:

https://www.freshtopiary.com/mas_assets/full/JT-4013SA.jpg
Yes! The flower looked like those in the picture you linked.

Igmarg
Newly Registered

JTred wrote:
Igmarg wrote: Could you provide information (or a link to information) about full/protected dormancies?
A full dormancy would simply be leaving it outside for the winter, preferably with some mulch or at least snow covering the pot, and perhaps somewhere sheltered from the wind. A protected dormancy would be in an unheated garage or shed, somewhere that gets cold, but not as cold as outside. If it turns out to be an azalea I would try to give it a full dormancy, probably on a side of the house or anywhere else that is protected by the wind. However, this depends on what the weather is like right now in your area, mots likely it is not too late.
Thank you so much for this information. The weather here (in Denver, CO) has been unseasonably warm and dry for the past month.

This is probably a dumb question, but if I do a full dormancy - do I do anything to the bonzai between now and spring (I.e. water, fertilize, etc.) - or do I just leave it alone until spring?

Thanks again - the expertise of everyone on this site is much needed - and appreciated!

JTred
Green Thumb

If I were you I would allow it an outdoor dormancy, and keep it outdoors all year round. Find a spot that is protected from the wind, cover the pot with mulch, or wait until it snows and cover the pot with snow. If it is expected to get particularly cold for a stretch you can bring it in to an unheated garage or shed, but it will probably be ok. Azaleas are outside plants and will do best outside.

djlen
Green Thumb

JTred wrote:If I were you I would allow it an outdoor dormancy, and keep it outdoors all year round. Find a spot that is protected from the wind, cover the pot with mulch, or wait until it snows and cover the pot with snow. If it is expected to get particularly cold for a stretch you can bring it in to an unheated garage or shed, but it will probably be ok. Azaleas are outside plants and will do best outside.
This is good advice. The south side of a house, out of the wind would be good, and if the weather gets harsh an unheated out-building such as a garage would be perfect during hard freezes. If you have a garage with a window put it next to the window as Azalea is an evergreen and will appreciate the light during it's stay inside.
Keep in mind that if you keep it in a garage or similar you will need to water it lightly during dormancy, or as suggested above, put some snow over the dirt to melt when it warms up.
Since it is an evergreen I would opt for outdoors when the weather allows.
No fertilization during the winter.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”