SteveP

Watering care: soil like a brick, but plant happy...?

Hi Guys,

Bit of help needed, my new tree (B&Q Special) seems relatively happy, I'm misting it every day, decent amounts of natural light etc, but the soil's like a breezeblock. I keep giving it the occasional 'dribble' of water, probably every other day, but no change.

[img]https://www.lockipedia.co.uk/bon/PIC_0030.JPG[/img]

I'm absolutely paranoid about overwatering, but at the same time panicking that it's suddenly going to go downhill... The leaves at the bottom are perky, but the ones at the top are starting to lose a bit of their 'bounce', bearing in mind I've no idea what kind of tree it is, I've no idea if that's even a characteristic!!

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions/help? I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers
Steve

Rosaelyn

It looks like a Buddhist Pine (Podocarpus Macrophyllus).

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Podocarpus.html
https://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/product291.html

My first thought, with the soil being like a brick, would be that the tree is rootbound, but Podocarpus grow roots very slowly, so it would take a long time for that tree to get that way. :)

Mine likes lots of light and lots of water. Your's looks to be in a nice, sunny window.

The misting is good for it, but I would suggest giving it a good soaking each time you water it. I water mine until the water runs out the holes in the bottom, let it drain for a few minutes and then water it a second time. This would probably be very beneficial for your's if the roots and/or soil are tightly compacted.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Rosaelyn,

Thanks for the ID, this one had me scratching my head. BTW, welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us.

Norm

Rosaelyn

Thnx, Norm. I'm glad to be here among those who understand my hobby more than most. ;)

SteveP

Thanks very much Rosaelyn!!

I didn't dare to absolutely saturate my tree, so I've given it 3xstrong good waterings with 15 minute gaps. Still not dripping out the bottom though, maybe next time it needs doing I'll go again; I'm thinking that this time it's hopefully broken up the soil a bit, make it easier next time.

It's great that you've got one, fancy sharing any pictures?

And thanks for the ID as well, stopped me panicking and wondering what on earth to do with it :D

Cheers!
Steve

Rosaelyn

I will post one when I get home tonight. Although, my Buddhist Pine is much younger and greener than your's. His trunk is only just beginning to lignify. ;) Your's is a beauty.

You said the water never came out the bottom, after 3 good showers? Wow. Did the soil absorb all of that? Are there any drainage holes in the bottom of the pot?

SteveP

Thanks! It's a bit overgrown at the moment, needs a bit of 'persuasion'!; Probably going to wait until spring to give it a good pruning.. wiring first ;-)

I had a good look at the time, the drain holes don't appear to be blocked... but like I say, it's a serious brick! I'm pretty sure the soil's just making up for lost time ;-)

Steve

Rosaelyn

Well, I would keep up that watering regiment until spring and then give him a repotting. :)

Rosaelyn

Well... I promised I would post a pic of my Buddha... He looks kinda sad next to yours, though. He is still needing some work and time to grow. :oops: I'm currently working on his branching and reducing the size of his leaves.

[img]https://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x103/littlegirl550/Bonsai/100_0715.jpg[/img]

djlen
Green Thumb

Here is a link that might shed some more light on the Podocarpus for you:
https://www.bonsai-express.com/products/1617-podocarpus.htm

At the bottom it says that they like a well drained soil and "....gray needles
are a sign of over watering."

I would show you a picture of mine but sadly it's just a wee bit bigger than
Rosaelyn's. Mine doesn't have very much branching yet because they say that snipping the leader will encourage branching but I want it to get a bit taller before I snip off the top. :)
I'm going to try to make it into a formal upright......we'll see...... :roll:
It will be nice and tall but I'm not a young guy and I hope I'll get to see it
start to fill in.
Oh, btw mine is a P. nivalis and the needles on it appear to be shorter than the ones you guys have.
Oh again.....lol.....I also wanted to mention that I read that Podocarpus
benefit from an additional dosing of Mg (Magnesium) 3 or 4 times a year.
I sprinkle (very lightly) a few crystals of Epsom Salts on the dirt and let it dissolve when watered.

SteveP

Rosealyn, at least yours looks like a tree! Mine just looks like a bent bit of wood with the world's biggest afro! ;-)

Len, thanks for that! I'll be having a do at the Epsom salts I think, just had to change the watering levels slightly, due to this damn soil. It's retaining far too much, and the leaves are going yellow...

Somebody in the pub last night said 'I've been thinking about a Bonsai tree, they're dead easy to keep'... cue a half-hour lecture. Accompanied with the Gardening-Centre bills to prove it ;-)

Rosaelyn

Hmmm, Podocarpus go grey when they are being overwatered. I'm trying to find some more information on yellowing leaves... Ah ha!

"May develop chlorosis (yellowing of the leaves) in alkaline soils."

I would think the Miracid would be helping this. How long have you been using the Miracid?

EDIT: OH! I just realized I was mixing up your threads. lol I would start using the Miracid on the Podocarpus, too. They like acidic soil, as well. ;)

SteveP

hehehe

I'll be honest, I've not used the Miracid yet on either of them; I wanted to get them both 'settled' ... get used to their water requirements and all that before putting any other variables into the mix...

Definitely next watering time I think though :P They're both going to get a dose this week, and we'll see what happens! It's these damn crappy soils that are causing half the issues, can't wait until Feb when I can re-pot...

Rosaelyn

You should be good to fertilize once a month through the winter. And I would not use the acid fertilizer every time. Every two or three months. Regular, balanced fertilizer the remainder of the time should be ideal.

And believe me, I totally agree with you that spring cannot come quick enough. ;)

SteveP

Just a quick question guys (I assure you, I am reading everything possible... still doesn't give me even half the data!)

Just done a bit of detective work on the Podo, the 'soil' is a layer of topsoil/compost, and what looks to be fine sand underneath? it's got the texture of clay when wet (just had a dousing)... sounds like a silly question... is this cool or not? If anything's trying to grow under there, Good Luck to it, I had to dig in with a putty knife..

Any thoughts appreciated...

Rosaelyn

Clay and sand are no good. They tend to compact and probably equal the reason that your Podocarpus doesn't want to drain out the bottom. :(

Part of what makes a "good" mixture is the ability to hold some moisture, allow air to the roots and resist compacting. This is the reason that many bonsai mixtures consist of a fair amount of inorganic.

A good source of information is Bonsai4me.com

Lots of good info on specific tree species, watering, soil, repotting, training, etc. It's the first place I refer to in regards to any questions I have.

SteveP

Hmmm.... as I thought then, thanks :/

I guess I'll see if I can keep it happy until Spring then... I knew it was bad, but not *that* bad... you wouldn't believe how tough it is; I thought at first I was cutting into a huge root!

Ah well, live and learn. Roll on Spring.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”