Michaelsmind
Newly Registered

A sticky Fukien Tea problem

I've been scouring the posts hoping to find someone who has had this problem but so far no luck. I have two Small Leaf Fukien Tea trees and one Chinese Elm, all three trees were purchased from a garden show from local Miami area nursery. All three are located in my air conditioned 71-73 degree office (I have no control) and receive about 3-4 hours of strong Eastern late afternoon sun through the window. They went through an initial shock as I learned their water needs. The elm and one tea tree lost most of their leaves as they adjusted to this climate. The elm has bounced back magnificently but the tea trees are acting weird. One lost all it's leaves but now has little green shoots coming out all over. The other lost some leaves but replaces them quickly. Both Fukien trees are now covered in a very sticky clear substance that glistens and covers everything underneath including a little pair of scissors left over the weekend! It almost looks crystyaline and there a tiny little white things on the leaves like microscopic aphids or mites except they don't move. I'm very puzzled. Has anyone ever heard of this condition?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sounds like most likely scale insects. They produce a sweet sticky exudation called honeydew. If the white things are scale insects, you can rub them off with your fingers. Unlike aphids and mites, scale insects are immobile.

Type scale insects into the Search the Forum feature and find a lot that's been written about them.

Here's one thread on them from the Bonsai forum:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97469&highlight=scale+insects#97469

Michaelsmind
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply and the link. I'm not sure where to go from here. I liked the alcohol idea but it would takes hours to give that kind of attention to these two trees. I'll consider the options and take action. My elm tree sits between the two fukiens and hasn't been touched. Both look so healthy otherwise.

Rosaelyn

I am becoming increasingly fond of Neem Oil. It is a natural pesticide and useful for fungus as well.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”