bbrewer22
Newly Registered

bonsai winter question

What is the best way to care for my bonsai during winter in Kansas? We get occasional snowfall and the temp is 20s - 40s F mostly. It is a ficus bonsai about 12 in tall in a small pot. Should I leave the bonsai outside? bring it inside? Should I continue to water it? This is my first winter so any advice would be a big help. Thanks!

arboricola

Ficus species is a tropical plant and should be kept indoors during winter.

Phil...

liquidsilver43
Newly Registered

I have aquired a ficus bonsai resently. I have read in several places online, and in books at the library that I work at...that if you have your ficus outside that you must bring it in if the temperature gets to 60 degrees or below. It should not be left outside over the winter. When indoors you should keep it out of a draft and in or near a south facing window. It should get plenty of light, but not necessarily direct sunlight through a window. Mines seems much happier since I followed these steps.

djlen
Green Thumb

We are careful to bring our Ficus into their wintering area, inside the house before the first frost.
You can count on it dropping a few leaves when you do but this is normal procedure for Ficus so don't panic. They 'complain' in this way every year when we bring them in but soon continue on with their growth at a slower 'winter pace' as I like to call it.
We keep ours in a west facing picture window and it does very well there till spring arrives and it can go back out for the summer.

bbrewer22
Newly Registered

Thanks everyone for the great tips! I'm already looking forward to warmer weather :)

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”