JTred
Green Thumb

Considering which branch to remove (ficus)

As you can see, a smaller branch has sprouted just below what used to be my lowest branch. As they are both on the same side and so close together, I don't want to keep them both for longer than I have to. Unfortunately I'm not sure which way to go with it. If I get rid of the smaller one, I will try to root it as a cutting, if I get rid of the larger one, I will air layer it first. Here are my concerns:

My main concern is that I would like to have foliage closer to the trunk, the larger branch has a few small buds, but none any further back than the first branch which currently has leaves. Starting over with the smaller main branch would allow me to keep foliage close to the trunk and maybe even increase ramification.

I'm also afraid that if I start over with the smaller branch, I will lose the thickness that I want in my lowest branch.

Another consideration is to keep the larger of the two main branches, but remove then end of the branch up until the spot where I currently have a branch wired up with a garbage tie. This would be in hopes of encouraging backbudding and ramification closer to the trunk. If I did this I would also consider wiring the garbage tie branch to a more horizontal position and prune it to 3 leaves.

So, what would be your recommended course of action? If you can think of anything that I haven't, I would love to hear it. I still consider myself to be very new to this, and I appreciate anyone's help. I'm in no hurry to do anything, and no matter what I decide I probably will give it a week or two to stew in my mind before I do anything.

[img]https://img260.imageshack.us/img260/8217/ficus10909001.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5663/bonsai10509002.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4971/ficus10909002.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img260.imageshack.us/img260/8373/ficus10909003.jpg[/img]

BTW, any advice you would like to offer that doesn't have to do with these two branches would be appreciated as well.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

JTred,

You have done a good job of outlining the problems with your lowest branch. The new one is too thin and the older one has no buds close to the trunk. With some species you could cut it back and expect buds to break. With Ficus I have had some bad experiences cutting back beyond any leaves. I assume you have the same concerns. Why not take advantage of the new shoot and try an approach graft, joining it to the larger branch?

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

From what little I know of ficus anatomy, I would say that, so long as you defolate the entire tree when doing this, it is okay to cut the smaller branch off, and prune the big one. It has been my experience that buds are not always visible on a ficus, so you may get it to branch back further than you think. Or, you could let the smaller branch grow out until it is thick.

JTred
Green Thumb

Thanks for the insight, great information as always. I had never considered an approach graft, nor do I know much about it. Some further research will be in order. I had never considered a complete defoliation either. This tree rebounded quickly from an accidental complete loss of leaves less than a year ago, so if I choose that route I will wait a bit longer to follow the "one insult per year" rule. Though I am confident that it would respond well to that. I'll keep thinking about this issue, again I'm in no hurry, I need to wait for a crabapple cutting to either die or root so I have a spot on my pot warmer for anything I cut off this ficus. I have been unsuccessful with smaller cuttings (1"-2") and hope to get better results with a larger (4"-6") cutting. Again, thanks for the replies.

-Jack

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”