ashrae
Newly Registered

Please help with my bonsai ficus

Hello. I am new to the forum but noticed a post from another ficus person. Maybe someone can help?? My bonsai has been living with me for 10 months and has been thriving. EXCEPT since 2 or 3 days ago. Suddenly a lot of leaves are falling off. some look yellow, others brown. He spent all summer near a southeast facing window (that has been open). The season is changing and a cool breeze blows in the window often. Is this normal during seasonal changes? Should I move him away from the window (I am afraid he won't get enough light though)? I am so nervous and I love this tree very much. Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice.

GardenerX

Hello,
I have a Ficus Nitida I keep near my window but the window is not open I would suggest takeing it away from the open window and getting a lamp with a flouresent light bulb and place it near it, I do the same thing just mine is near the window but the window is closed...

HOPE THIS HELPS :wink:

JTred
Green Thumb

It is almost definitely the cool breeze that did it. Ficus are very forgiving but the one thing they don't tolerate is cold air, especially breezes. The good thing is they bounce back, and its especially nice to know your tree was doing well beforehand. Get it to a warm, preferably humid location. If the window cannot be closed then I would suggest getting some supplemental lighting and moving it away from the window. Remember though, with decreased foliage comes decreased need for water. BTW, I suffered the exact same problem about a month after I got my ficus and new buds were breaking before the last dead leaf fell.

ashrae
Newly Registered

Thanks for your wonderful and promising replies. I closed the window last night and played some lovely classical music for an hour. I am going to set up the humidifier over the weekend and look for an area away from the window that still sees a lot of sunlight. Wish me luck and thanks again!

GardenerX

GOOD LUCK :wink:

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”