miteshsura
Newly Registered

just got new Bonsai-please help identifying & care takin

hi all,

I just got this new bonsai from Flea marker in san jose, ca. The agent told me avoid direct sunlight and minimum watering required.

Now I was going thru different articles which said you need to immerse the plant completely in water.

Can some one help identifying my Bonsai and let me know how to take care of it. The link to my bonsai is: https://picasaweb.google.com/MiteshSura/MyBonsai#

Many thanks,
Mitesh

maveriiick

Looks like a Ficus, Maybe ficus retusa.

https://www.bonsaihunk.us/ficusforum/FicusForum.html

miteshsura
Newly Registered

thanks maveriiick, any clue on watering/sun light???
are you sure if my bonsai is Ficus??

Mitesh

djlen
Green Thumb

Yes, looks like a Ficus to me as well.
Does it have any of that stuff on top glued onto it?
If so, you need to remove the glue and anything on
the surface that will keep you from being able to check
the dryness of the media it's planted in.
I would water normally and mist it and it should be OK.

maveriiick

Ficus tend to be very easy bonsai to take care off. Watering bonsai in general is somewhat more difficult than most plants however, and the ficus loves humidity. However, to water you must check the ground pretty much everyday by pressing your fingers onto the surface of the dirt and feeling for moisture. Once it feels either minimally moist or dry, you should drench from the top with water. Others may say to do submersion watering when watering is required, but there appears to be some controversy with this, and I still am not to sure why. NEVER water bonsai to a schedule as physical factors can effect soil water retention (I.e. wind, temperature, humidity, plant vigor, etc.). Some say that water should be collected and left out for a day or 2 to allow the chlorine to evaporate before watering to remove this harmful chemical.

I would also suggest you look over bonsaihunks website above, the guy also wrote an excellent book on Ficus which you could buy if you are serious about taking care of this tree.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”