djlen
Green Thumb

Schefflera arboricola

I have several 'Scheffs' and would like to be able to decrease the size of the leaves on some of my smaller ones.
Some plants, when partially de-foliated will re-grow it's leaves in a smaller
size. Is this possible for Schefflera?
Any suggestions on this would be helpful.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Len,

Yes but the real purpose of defoliation is to increase ramification, the leaf reduction of which you speak is temporary. By increasing ramification you will, over time, create more leaves and more leaves mean that each leaf will tend to be smaller.

I'm not sure I explained that well. Defoliation drastically decreases leaf size in the short term but it's real advantage is realized gradually over time. By having more growing points the trees resources are distributed more.

This is general information, not specific to Schefflera but I believe it should hold true.

https://www.bonsaihunk.us/info/ScheffleraBonsai.html

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

The best way to reduce the leaf size in a schefflera is to restrict its root growth as well as defoilate it.

djlen
Green Thumb

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be experimenting with different methods to try to get the affect I want.
I don't think I will be restricting root growth in the short term because I see that as a way to slow the overall growth and I'm trying to build trunk mass and at the same time bring the leaves into better proportion.
We'll work on it.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”