artisanoo

ficus approach grafting - need to shave bark?

Ive read up on approach grafting, and its something I could be interested in trying. And I also know that ficuses will fuse with enough time -

so my question is, is the shaving really needed for a ficus approach graft?
I see on some articles (like the one at bonsaihunk) that he does peel the bark, but I am wondering if its a requirement or just done to get the branch more flush to the trunk

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

artisanoo,

I have never done this type of grafting so I'm going out on a limb a bit. I imagine that the fusing will go quicker if you expose the cambium of each portion. This probably makes for a neater union as well. If Jerry suggests it be done that way I would be inclined to take his advice.

Does anyone have any direct experience with this technique?

Norm

artisanoo

I agree, that its probably 'better' that way, but was just wondering if it was possible at all without it. reason being, it seems an easy to to avoid a potential nasty scar if it fails (and I think its worth the trade, time vs scar)

but again of course, this is only if its possible - hopefully there are some ficus people around here. is jerry a member around here?

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

how did your approach graft turn out? I'm curious and would like to try that on my ficuses. I was at a local nersery and the owner showed me a copy of Jerry's book Ficus the exotic bonsai autographed. I flipped it through. would probably shell out the $30 to buy it some day. There are also some Taiwanese books I'd like to get since Jerry attributes some Taiwanese ficus masters on his site from whom he worked with and learned from as well.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”