Keir64
Newly Registered

New bonsai tree indoor

Anyone got any good advice for growing a bonsai tree indoors I have bought a bonsai growing kit with a pot it contained a disk of soil (some kind of coconut shell? according to the box) and 2 seeds which are sown 2cm below the soil and kept moist (according to the box instructions) what do you make of this? I have no idea if it will work just wondering if anyone knows better? :)

Keir

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think that's a question that can be answered without knowing what kind of tree. Almost any tree can be treated as a bonsai, which is a description of the technique/process, not the tree. But different kinds of trees need different conditions and care, including some do well indoors and some don't.

Also starting a bonsai from seed is a very slow and difficult process. It takes years to grow a tree out from seed and that's the time when you most need to know what you are doing in terms of shaping the final result without killing the tree. If you are a beginner at bonsai, you are better off starting with an already started tree.

But tell us what kind of tree the seeds are supposed to grow into and I'm sure one of our bonsai experts around here (I'm not one) can give you some suggestions for its care.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Keir64,

I agree that knowing what species you have will help us to know what you are up against. You can grow from seed if you really want to but you really should consider approaching bonsai from more than one direction, seeds take a long time to get anywhere with.

Norm

Keir64
Newly Registered

I have no idea if I'm doing this right... I clicked post reply, hope thats right.
Thanks for the advice:D I couldnt tell you what kind of seed it was to be honest, I bought it from a shop with pretty vague instructions of 'Sow seed 2cm under soil, keep moist and await first sprouts? shoots? cant remember.. Then it said keep moist + move to a bigger container once flowers are establised..Wish I brought the box with me to quote from!
Anyway I'm a total beginner here but I really want to grow a bonsai tree in my house so basically am I best to just get one that is allready growing and just find out the best care for it? :)
Thanks for everyones help

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Keir64,
Anyway I'm a total beginner here but I really want to grow a bonsai tree in my house so basically am I best to just get one that is allready growing and just find out the best care for it?
That would really make things easier on you. Make sure you get something that is suitable for indoor culture if that is where you want to grow. Some trees do Pretty well inside with the right care but some really are inappropriate.

Indoors, Ficus and Schefflera are good choices, of course there are others. trees that are inappropriate indoors are Junipers, Maples and most Pines. Basically look for tropical plants.

Since you don't know what type of seeds you have it would probably be safer to wait until next spring and plant them outside. Some seeds require a cold chilling period in order to break dormancy and some do not. Without knowing what type of seeds you have you are at a real disadvantage.

Norm

Keir64
Newly Registered

Ok ill find a suitable indoor tree that is allready established and then just maintain it, makes sense for a beginner! :D Where would you recommend to buy one? I have a garden centre local to me so ill ask there, I'm sure they can point me in the right direction :D
I reckon ill just give up on the seeds, Id maybe plant them outside if I didnt live in the top floor of a flat! :P Ill pop back and let you know how I get on:D Thanks so much for the help! :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Keir64,
Where would you recommend to buy one?
I can't really recommend any retailers in the UK but I have stumbled across several while searching. These seem reputable but I cannot vouch for them.

https://www.greendragonbonsai.co.uk/
https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/shop/index.php
https://www.cherryblossombonsai.co.uk/index.htm

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”