Brubzy
Newly Registered

Which dirt will work?

Sooo I got so many great tips on my last post I thought I would come back for more. As I posted before I have a 6yrs Juniper. It's getting cold and I was told I need to re-pot for the winter. I am a rookie and would like to know what type of dirt I should use? I plan on going to Home Depot or something so if there is a brand out there I would love to know it. Also, any other tips for a newbie? Anything will be more than welcomed!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not a bonsai grower, but I've been doing a fair amount of reading about them lately and I can share what I've been reading -- alot of which you will find here. I recommend you browse around through the Bonsai section.

To start with you posted about your juniper bonsai in the "Indoor Bonsai" section, but everyone says juniper are NOT indoor trees. They die indoors; they need to be outdoors in a lot of sun, even in winter, even in harsh winters.

Next you don't want "dirt." Junipers grow in the mountains practically out of the bare granite (I have seen this). They are used to high, dry, windy locations. The quickest way to kill a juniper is too much water or soil that holds water all the time. You want some medium that drains water out very quickly, like a mixture of perlite and shredded bark chips....

Gnome, bonsaiboy, how did I do? :)

Brubzy
Newly Registered

Yea it's odd that everyone says the the Junipers will die inside, however the lady I bought it from told that it will be fine and I should give it as much real sunlight as possible, but to use a grow light for 8hrs when I can. Strange right? Yea, so my thimb is not very green and there are soooo many different people saying different stuff about the dirt. So where is the best place to find the right dirt? I.e Home Depot, a garden store?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

RBG,
Gnome, bonsaiboy, how did I do?
Excellent, I might modify the elements of your mix for a Juniper but overall I agree.

Brian,
Yea it's odd that everyone says the the Junipers will die inside, however the lady I bought it from told that it will be fine
Unfortunately vendors are not always honest when hoping to make a sale. This forum is replete with new growers who tried this and have failed. You may be able to manage it for a while, months or perhaps even the better part of a year if you are diligent but how will you resolve the issue of the required dormancy? Eventually it will weaken and fail.

If you would like to learn more about bonsai soils, or more accurately bonsai mediums as there is usually no soil or dirt involved, please refer to [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422]this sticky.[/url]

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Agreed with Norm here, junipers are not suitable for indoor growing. Unfortunately, your story is nothing new, we hear it over and over again.

"I bought a juniper to keep in my house."
"It won't survive."
"But the person/tag/website/etc. said it would be fine inside."

It won't, it will fail eventually, usually after one season of non-dormancy, at best, but usually much sooner than that.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”