kdodds
Greener Thumb

Small gray bugs

Okay, these are tiny little guys, only a few mm long, they're gray, and kind of football shaped, if you elongated the football to about twice its normal length. They look more like seeds than bugs. But, seeds don't come running out of the soil when the plant is watered. Neem oil and "garden safe" pesticides have not worked so far. Any clue as to what these things are and how to get rid of them? Currently, they're only in my Grewia, which is surprising since my collection is fairly close quartered. There's nothing different about the soil in this pot. The only difference is that this tree is a semi-cascade, so the pot is a bit deeper.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

kdodds,

Sorry, I don't really have any guesses. I was going to suggest you post a picture but you have probably already considered that and are unable to get one.

Norm

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I wonder if they might be root aphids?

[img]https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/56844IMG_7163.jpg[/img]

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Gnome wrote:kdodds,

Sorry, I don't really have any guesses. I was going to suggest you post a picture but you have probably already considered that and are unable to get one.

Norm
Yeah, they're really tiny, only a few mm.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Okay... root aphids, a search lead me to this page:

https://wiki.bugwood.org/HPIPM:Sugarbeet_Root_Aphid_Sugarbeets

The picture looks very much like the aphids in question. Now, how do you get rid of them? It says there's no know chemical control for this particular root aphid species, but does that include all root aphid species? And why are they only in the one pot?

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”