gazmont85
Newly Registered

Bonsai Advice Watering care for chinese elm?

First of all I would like to say thanks to NORM who replied promptly to my post a few days ago!

Now, I have a Chinese Elm, which is kept indoors at around 22-26C, I live in england so it aint that hot!

I need to know how much to water my tree and how often, and whether or not to use any types of feed?

Also, will my tree loose its leaves during the winter? I think the tree is around 2-3 years old (that's what the seller told me)
what is the best way of watering, should I use tap water, should I submerge the whole pot?

help would be appreciated...

many thanks

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

gazmont85,

Look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479]here[/url] for some tips on watering. Basically, don't worry about how much (always water well) instead worry about how often. Try out the Chopstick method outlined at the link above.

Yes you should fertilize it periodically. You can use any fertilizer you would use for houseplants. If you choose synthetics use one that is balanced. If you prefer organic fertilizers that's fine too. The important thing is to fertilize regularly.

Your Chinese Elm will not go dormant inside although it will if kept outside. Although Chinese Elms can be kept inside, some claim that eventually they will weaken if not allowed to experience a dormancy. Do you have any idea where the previous grower kept it?

I have a small one that I bought last summer and brought it inside early last winter after the tree had a dormant period. I have never tried to keep one without allowing it at least a brief dormancy. BTW, after a brief dormancy would be a fine time to re-pot it if the soil is poorly draining.

What are you doing for lighting?

Norm

gazmont85
Newly Registered

hi and thanks again norm.

I have no idea where it was last kept I'm afraid. would pht be best to keep he tree in the window? at the moment its on a shelf not near a window, is that bad?

thanks

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

gazmont85,

Yes I would move it closer to the window. But beware of extremes of temperature if kept too close to the window. Alternately, you could set up some supplemental lighting, it will really make a difference over the winter.

Are you at all inclined or even able to keep it outside?

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”