GardenerX

Which Bonsai Seed should I choose?

Hello,

I was wondering what would be a good starter bonsai I want to grow a few from seed I want a fast growing, indoor, tree.

thx and Happy Gardening

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

A ficus or a Schefflera would be nice. You could even try coffee, but that takes a long time for the trunk to thicken. Unfortunatly, even with a fast growing schefflera, you're looking at 3 years or so before its bonsaiable.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

GardenerX,

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you have to create a bonsai from the ground up. Although you can definitely grow from seed, or cuttings, that is the longest route available to you. Instead look for established material from which you can work.

This could come from many sources, potted 'houseplants', nursery stock or collected material. Instead of getting a small plant and growing it up, get a big plant and cut it down. Make the smallest bonsai from the stock at hand and you will be years ahead of the game. Of course you can do both, which is what I do, but don't limit yourself to a single approach.

One of the best sources for inexpensive, or even free, material is old, unwanted landscape material. Look for stuff like Yews, Boxwood or even old Barberry.

Norm

GardenerX

thx for the info guys also I have these little bush things outside I was wondering if I could use cuttings from those to start off untill I get good because I mean these things are everywhere here's a pic of one :arrow:

[img]https://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii365/dragondude_2009/004-1.jpg[/img]

pluss I cant kill them I chopped them down once and they grew from the sticks that fell off the old one's it's accualy pretty cool but kind of anoyying...

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I want a fast growing, indoor, tree.
If it is an indoor tree you want, it will not do to take outdoor plants and bonsai them. You must look to the tropics, or plants that can grow in tropical climates.

GardenerX

would the one I posted above do for an outside or do I need one with a thicker trunk I'm just trying to save a little cas

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

GardenerX,

Bonsaiboy is correct. Even though you are in Texas, taking an outside plant and bringing it inside is problematic. The plant you picture is, I believe, Wintercreeper or [url=https://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&resnum=0&q=wintercreeper&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi]Euonymus fortunei.[/url] Follow the link and check the pictures as I can't tell for sure from yours.

I have not seen this species used as bonsai but, as it happens, I am trying it out. I have nothing to report yet but it seems promising. I have one growing up a tree in an attempt to increase the foliage it supports. By increasing the foliage mass I hope to thicken the trunk and later cut it back.

I say give it a try but if my ID is correct, inside is probably not a good choice for this species. Of course you can try if you are adventurous, I had no idea it grew that far south so you never know. Regardless, look for the fattest one you can find this gives you a head start.

Norm

GardenerX

AWESOME thx guys for everything

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”