tobetrue
Newly Registered

Fukien Tea

I am new to the bonsai world and my son bought one for me for my birthday. It is a Fukien Tea and my question is: I have had it for about 2 wks and I have it under a grow light with a humidity tray. There have been a few little white flowers grow, but I have noticed several of the leaves have been turning yellow, but seem brittle. I don't think that I have been over watering because I have been using a water meter and when I received it I did notice some ants. Any suggestions from anyone? :lol:

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the forum. I will place this thread in the indoor bonsai forum as so more people can help. As far as I can tell, it could also be adjusting to its new enviornment, which would explain the leaf loss. As for the ants, I would change the soil and spray the tree with neem.

tobetrue
Newly Registered

thank you for your reply. So it is ok to use neem on a Fukien Tea? I would also like to know how much light this tree needs. I have a grow light, but I just bought a meter to measure the light and it only show about 500 at tree level and about 1000 at the light. Is this enough for the tree to do well? The bulb is a 24w 5t.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I believe you can use neem on a Fukein Tea. And the light levels are high enough, if you're using lumens.

tobetrue
Newly Registered

Thank you so much for your reply!! I really do appreciate it. :P

Andy D

whats already been said is correct, but as far as humidity trays go, ive been told not to use them. they encourage the growth of a central taproot. instead I mist my fukien once or twice a day with a simple mister. if you get a mister, however, make sure that it isnt for chemicals or anything harmful. also, once misted, don't put the tree in the sun or artificial light-the leavves will scorch!!!

josh1812@live.com

Actually Andy D I live in Florida and have always sprayed my trees in the afternoon and have never scorched my trees it does leave a white residue but never have the leaves been damaged

maveriiick

I use neem on mine with no ill effects and use a humidity tray without problems as well. The yellowing of leaves also happened when I brought mine home and appeared to be related to the change of environment. I allow the soil to dry practically completely between waterings (similar to Bougainvillea), and that seems to keep the plant happy. I've also read (and seen) that regular misting of the tree will cause the white flowers to brown and whither. I do it on occasion and notice the white flowers turn brown rather quickly.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”