chanka98
Newly Registered

New Ficus Bonsai...do I have a problem here?

I found a nice Ficus (Nitida or Benjamina?) in one of those wholesale clubs. At first it was doing ok, but then leaves started to go yellow and fall off. It started out as one or two a day and I thought it was just adapting, but then it turned into five to 10 a day with no new growth to take it's place!! I am pretty sure I overwatered it. It is in the original soil, on a kitchen countertop where it gets indirect sunlight, but no direct sunlight. I was misting once a day but I have not been for the last week or so since I realized that I may have overwatered. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! How do you post pics??!!??

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener!

Please be sure to read the webmaster's helpful tips and tricks for new members: using emoticons to help convey your "tone of voice," initiating and maintaining informative discussions, and ... posting photographs! :)

I know that full-sized ficus plants can be quite temperamental when they're transplanted, so maybe yours is just having a conniption. OTOH, pictures (if you can take them--I personally don't own a digital camera) will help others see what's going on with the plant.

Best wishes.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

chanka98
Newly Registered

Thanks for the info. I do have pictures that I was planning on including with my initial post. I will get them up tonight and hopefully be able to get my ficus bonsai back on track!

:D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Duh...:oops:

Webmaster's tips and tricks are at

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23

meant to paste it into my message last night, but I guess I was too pasted myself...

Cynthia H.

chanka98
Newly Registered

Thanks, I found it. I was stupid for not looking there first!! I haven't watered in almost two weeks and the soil feels dry almost all the way down. The leaf loss has slowed but not stopped. I am using a liquid fertilizer, Miracle Gro for houseplants 8-7-6, which I have used twice so far at full strength but it didn't seem to have any effect. Here are links to my pictures. I hope the damage is not too bad!!!

https://img198.imageshack.us/I/p9080073.jpg/
https://img406.imageshack.us/I/p9080081.jpg/
https://img228.imageshack.us/I/p9080065.jpg/

Thanks!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

chanka98,
I haven't watered in almost two weeks and the soil feels dry almost all the way down.
That sounds like along time between watering, not that it is your fault. If the soil retains that much moisture, that could very easily be contributing to your problem. Ficus don't like to be continuously wet, in fact not many plants do. Have a look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422]here[/url] and see how those mediums differ from yours.

It also sounds like it may not be getting enough light;
on a kitchen countertop where it gets indirect sunlight, but no direct sunlight.
Try moving it to a bright window sill if you have one available. Otherwise supplemental lighting may be required. Ficus can do OK in moderately low light but they will do better in a brighter situation.

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

It would appear to me as though this bonsai came with glued down rocks. If this is the case they need to be removed ASAP. Then, the soil should be changed, as it is likely peat based and not free draining. Let it get used to its new enviornment for a while. And, when you water it is a good idea to let the soil surface become almost, but not quite dry.

chanka98
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice! You are correct that it came with the glued down rocks. I will remove them and repot in a more appropriate soil. Also, since I live in FL I thought maybe I should move it outside and let it get some direct morning sunlight and some humidity and recoup a bit. Then maybe transition it back inside. Any thoughts on that? I know Ficus stress easily so I don't want to make it worse. :oops:

JTred
Green Thumb

If you live in FL and it is possible then I suggest you put it outside and leave it outside unless the temperature is predicted to go below 55-40 degrees. Try to pick a spot that gets morning sunshine and shade in the afternoon. As for repotting, that can be hit or miss. On one hand if you re-pot it you run the risk of overstressing an already stressed tree and could face complete or partial defoliation. This happened to me. Though picky about changes in location, ficuses are actually pretty resilient. Mine came back nicely anda complete defoliation does not mean the death of your plant. On the other hand if you leave it in a less than ideal medium you risk root rot. Some of the more experienced members may have better advice, but if it was mine I would remove the glued in rocks and put it outside. I would be super-vigilant about the moisture of the soil and wait to re-pot until new growth begins. When you do re-pot, try to do as little damage to the roots as possible.

chanka98
Newly Registered

Thanks! I have already removed the rocks and I was suprised at how moist the soil still is after TWO WEEKS of no watering!!! I'll move the tree outside as this will probably help the soil dry out faster, and repot once it starts to recover. Thanks again for all of the advice and hopefully I can post some pics of my fully recovered tree soon!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”