Since we have a lot of indoor growers on the forum I though it was time that I branched out a bit. In late summer 2008 I purchased a small pot of three Scheffleras. Of course my first step was to separate and re-pot them. Unfortunately I found that they had hardly any roots and, despite their reputation for being easy, I managed to kill two of the three.
After several months of growing I decided to pursue the root over rock style with the survivor. In preparation it was re-potted and placed over a small inverted pot inside of a larger one. The idea behind this was to encourage the roots to get some length and begin to assume the proper arrangement.
Here you can see the finished arrangement beside the pot the small plant came out of.
The plant was now allowed unrestricted growth over the winter and spring until late May 2009.