Kurite
Cool Member

Re-braiding a money tree

Hi
I just recently bought a young braided money tree and noticed that one of the braids was not correctly braided. I was wondering if its okay to undo the braids and re-braid it? If it is okay are there any tips and tricks. Also how do I continue to braid it when it grows taller? The picture is of my money tree.

[img]https://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab328/Kurite/Other%20Plants/IMG_2267.jpg[/img]

Thanks

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

It might grow at its best if it were unbraided and left so. I do not, however, know if it can be unbraided.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My usual caveat, whenever I respond to a bonsai question... I'm not a bonsai grower, have NO specific bonsai experience, just general plant experience. However, it seems like the braiding is done when the shoot is new and green and flexible. After that it hardens up and gets woody. At that point, I would think it would be very difficult to unbraid without damaging the tree.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Kurite wrote:Hi
I was wondering if its okay to undo the braids and re-braid it? If it is okay are there any tips and tricks. Also how do I continue to braid it when it grows taller?

Thanks
I was thinking along the same lines as rainbowgardener. Braiding, I assume, would best be carried out upon young flexible material so I'm not sure it would be good idea to try to alter your tree now. Even if you could un-braid it you may not be happy with the results of re-braiding, the material may have begun to lose its flexibility.

As far as new shoots go I also am a little leery. To braid, it would seem that you need long straight sections of material that are grown quickly and braided young. This type of growth is probably produced under ideal conditions, even in a greenhouse.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”