proudchdmom
Newly Registered

ficus...(Dormant or in distress?)

I have a ficus bonsai tree...It has went dormant on me one other time and I was able to get it back. It has lost all its leaves again and has went dormant again. the 1st time it was away from a window and I put it near my french doors and it came back. This year, I got a screen door for my french doors and my ficus has went dormant again. The only thing I can think of is that my tree didnt like the breezes...we have some cool nights, nothing increadibly cold-I live in southeat iowa? I'm not sure...Any help or suggestions.... I really want to save my tree :?:

Megatherium
Newly Registered

I'm the first to admit that I'm a total bonsai newbie, but aren't the trees supposed to have a dormancy period?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Ficus trees used for bonsai are tropical and subtropical trees that don't really "go dormant". I've seen and heard of leaf drop in Ficus spp. when they're moved, yes, but this is not dormancy. As far as I know, Ficus, MOST Ficus spp. sold for bonsai purposes, do not have this dormancy phase. Yes, some, like F. carica, do, but they're not as commonly used. Anyway, I'm guessing you've one of the three most common F. benjamina (or variant thereof), F. retusa, or F. salicaria, none of which should be doing what you're describing if healthy.

Breezes are bad news for indoor trees, they can strip humidity from the ambient atmosphere as well as moisture from the pot/soil. Other than that, I couldn't venture a guess as to why the tree is leaf-dropping again, especially this time of year when light is more prevalent and stronger, if it hasn't been moved.

JTred
Green Thumb

Ficus don't have dormancy periods, but more like short rest periods. They don't involve shedding of leaves though. My ficus lost all of its leaves when I took it to school, but it came back strong. It sounds like your tree is inside. If the night time temperatures stay above 40-45, I suggest gradually moving it outside. What I mean by that is put it outside for longer and longer periods every day, until it stays outside. The sunlight and humidity will help. I would pick somewhere that gets morning sun, and is shaded during the afternoon. Also, once you see green buds come back, I would fertilize with a fertilizer diluted to about half strength.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

The Common Fig (Ficus carica) needs a dormancy period in the winter, and I have seen it sold as a bonsai before. If the fig you have is not this fig, it is likely tropical, but if it is, it should be kept outside at all times.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”