mosk1640
Cool Member

Arboricola Trimming/Pruning Question

I have a large Arboricola banyan style bonsai. Its in a very sunny window and it is growing like crazy! Seems like new leaves popping up everywhere everyday! I was wondering what the best way is to trim it back without hurting it? I want to retain its shape and keep the growth more to the roots than the canopy. (The canopy is really full as it is).

Thanks so much!!!

Matt

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

That depends on if you want it to branch or not. If you want it to branch more from the present branches, it is best to completely defoilate the tree and prune back the branches to where you want them. If, however, you are only interested in shrinking the size of the canopy, you should just prune back the branches to where you want them without stripping the tree of its leafs.

arboricola

Mosk;

Snip the growing bud ( new leaf) on each branch as they occur. There's a latent bud at each leaf axil. The tree can and will bud at any leaf. If the bud is in the right place, leave it and let it grow. If not pinch it out.

Phil...

mosk1640
Cool Member

Thanks, that's what ive been doing...just snipping about 70% of new growth. Its growing like crazy!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”