gpanyam
Newly Registered

Tips on taking care of my new Fukien Tea Bonsai

Hi
I am new to this forun and new to Bonsai, though I have been facinated by it for quite some time. I recently purchased a Fukien Tea Bonsai tree from Costco (yes, Costco of all the places). It came in a huge wavey container so I felt compelled to repot it in a proper Bonsai container. It seems to have tolerated the repotting OK but I do have some leaf fall. I have been losing about 5 to 6 leaves average per day since the repotting. I am not sure if this is normal and would like some comments. I am taking care to place in indoors in a place where it gets proper sunlight and am also watering it about once in 2 days. Any useful tips/comments welcome.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

When bonsai are moved it is natural for them to drop a few leafs. If this goes on though, you may have a problem. It should start to put out new leafs after there done falling.

gpanyam
Newly Registered

Thank you for the response. I will just watchi it for a while and see if it goes away.
I have a related question - about watering. I am seeing conflicting suggestion on watering Fukien Tea, but most sites seem to suggest the soil should be allowed to get slightly dry before watering. Is this the correct approach? Right now I am keeping the soil moist all the time.

arboricola

gpanyam;

You can exspect some leaf drop after a repot. Keep the soil moist but not wet. Do not let the tree dry out as it will lose all it's leaves and they don't recover well.

Phil...

bonsaidavid

Sounds like you're doing well, check out this website...
https://www.bonsaigardener.org/fukien-tea-bonsai.html
It has everything you need to know.

gpanyam
Newly Registered

Yes,looks like it is getting much better now. I also added a humidity tray that seems to help.

japanpsyhic
Cool Member

For my Fukien Tea, I just chekc the surface of the soil w/ my finger, if its dry, I give it SOME water. Not a ton. Works for me! :D

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”