mosk1640
Cool Member

Arboricola Banyan

I'm curious to see whether or not there is such a thing as "too much" sunlight for my Arboricola (Hawaiian Umbrella) banyan tree? I live in NY so don't get me wrong, I'm not putting it in 100 degree heat under intense sunlight all day but now that the weather is nicer ive been putting it in direct sunlight for about 6 hours per day in 75 degree weather. (between 12 and 6pm) Ive heard with these trees that the more sunlight the better off they do so...Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

From my personal experiance with this tree, I would say if it has been kept indoors its life, place it in shade (such as under a balcony or overhang). For some reason, Schefflera trees seem to be able to make the transition from bright light to dim light with little trouble, but when moved from dim light to full sun, they seem to fall apart. Then, when winter comes and you have to bring it back in, and place it in dim light, it may suffer a relapse...

So if I were you, I would keep it shaded.

mosk1640
Cool Member

Thanks for the tips. The tree came from a greenhouse with moderate light all day long so I think ill keep it as is. Its in a pretty sunny window and seems to be doing alright so far...

Thanks again!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”