KindredSpirit
Newly Registered

**Some Questions (about Schefflera) Please!**

Hey Guys ~ I have been reading and reading...but I have some questions too, if I may!

This is my only Bonsai tree and I love it! I have only had it since December of last year, so approx 6 months. It is doing well! I give it plenty of light and submerge in water for 5 min when the soil feels dry.

[img]https://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/017-7.jpg[/img]

Yesterday, I read here about removing the moss around the base, so I did! Lots of glue too! Here is the tree after I removed all that stuff. I hope that I have not shocked it or anthing!

[img]https://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/005-6.jpg[/img]

Some questions I have:

* Are all tiny Bonsai trees such as these, for indoors only? Can I put this guy out in the sun for a while?

* I want to transplant this tree into a nicer, little bigger pot, should I? I was reading about this yesterday, and all I could find was about the blooms, and my tree does not really have blooms!

* What is the exact name of the soil I should purchase to transplant Bonsai?

Thanks Everyone!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

KindredSpirit,
Yesterday, I read here about removing the moss around the base, so I did! Lots of glue too! Here is the tree after I removed all that stuff. I hope that I have not shocked it or anthing!
You did the right thing and the tree does not seem to have missed a beat, good job.
Are all tiny Bonsai trees such as these, for indoors only? Can I put this guy out in the sun for a while?
No, in fact it is just the opposite. All trees are outdoor trees but some tolerate being indoors. So yes, you can put it outside. Find a spot that does not receive strong sunlight all day as it is usually not a good idea to transition from indoors to full sun too quickly. A spot with morning sun and filtered shade during the afternoon would be ideal.
I want to transplant this tree into a nicer, little bigger pot, should I? I was reading about this yesterday, and all I could find was about the blooms, and my tree does not really have blooms!
Different species have different requirements WRT timing of transplanting. Deciduous trees are usually transplanted just before they leaf out. Flowering species are often done after they bloom so as not to disturb the flowering process. Tropical species are often done during warm weather so now would be fine I think. I only have one of these but after I read your first post yesterday I was prompted to do some work on it. I transplanted it and it is now going to be a 'root over rock' style, I just checked it and it looks fine. Make sure you choose a pot with excellent drainage, Don't go too big either, part of what makes a bonsai 'a bonsai' is the pot. Personally, I would like to see it in a shallower, round or oval pot.
What is the exact name of the soil I should purchase to transplant Bonsai?
There are a lot of opinions about bonsai soil and for good reason. It is not easy to recommend a 'one size fits all' approach. Species, climate, pot size and your level of commitment all play a role in selecting a mix. If you have read the material I suggested yesterday you should have a good idea of what makes a good medium. A medium with a fair size particle that has some organic material in it should not be too hard to find. There are ready made bonsai soils available online and I would be happy to make a suggestion if you like but you may be able to find something locally.

Norm

KindredSpirit
Newly Registered

Gosh Norm!! Thank you Thank You Thank you!! I plan on getting more of these tiny trees...but they will basically live indoors...

I will keep you posted!!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”