subtle1
Newly Registered

Questions for a Ficus Ginseng in Colorado's high elevation

So, I decided to try a root-over-rock style on my ginseng ficus. I was jest looking for any information on how the roots will react/grow and if there is anything I should know. I am also looking for anything I may need to know working with bonsai at Boulder, Colorado's high elevation and humidity.

IndorBonsai

Here is the method that I am trying on my Golden Gate Ficus root over rock.
I am not sure if it is the best or if it will work but so far so good.

First off I started with a local store bought Ficus $6 bucks. I rinsed off all the old soil from around the roots and planted it in long fiber sphagnum moss (not sphagnum peat moss). I layed out about a inch of soaking wet sphagnum moss on the bottom of the pot and layed the longest roots so they were in kinda a fan shape in the pot (hoping that this will help train the roots and make it easier to wrap around a rock in the future). I covered the roots with more soaking wet sphagnum moss and am letting the tree grow till next year.

Next year I hope to be able to rinse off the old sphagnum moss and wrap the roots around a rock. then re potting it in sphagnum moss. Using the moss I will wrap the exposed roots and the rock to keep the roots from drying out and killing the tree. slowly I will let the moss around the rock and exposed roots dry out ( probably over several months ) keeping the sphagnum moss in the pot moist (hoping that this encourages the roots to grow in the pot not on the rock). After awhile I should be able to remove the moss covering the rock and roots over the rock.

I am using sphagnum moss because all my ficus trees love it and it has some sort of antibiotic that most roots love and thrive in.
Remember to wear gloves when using sphagnum moss. I have heard that it can cause problems if you have any cuts or open sores that get exposed to it ( I have had no problems and have been using sphagnum moss for cutting starts for years )

And Ficus love humidity when they are really happy they will start sending ariel roots from branches just poke these in your potting medium and they will become very cool looking roots.

anyways hope this helps and good luck :)

subtle1
Newly Registered

Cool, thank you. I will keep that in mind, but I have already put it on the rock. Sphagnum moss seams interesting and I'll have to look into it, but I would like to know how the ginseng ficus grows it's thick roots (if they have to be over ground, can be manipulated, removed, grow or anything) and if they will effect being attached to a rock. Also, if there are any general changes in maintenance when being at an elevation of 5,400 feet in Boulder, CO.
8)

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

The thick roots of a genseng ficus are the same as for any ficus; they just get very fat. Remember, the most critical part of growing airal roots is humidity. If the air is humid, then they will grow. As far as I know, ther is no cultural difference when growing ficuses in high elevations as appose to sea level.

subtle1
Newly Registered

Thank you Bonsaiboy.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”