Nuder
Newly Registered

Fukien Tea Problem

Hi all,

I have a small problem which might escalate if I don't take care of it. My bonsai is not doing so well. A lot of the leaves have turned black and some even have brown spots. It may be over or under watering but due to all the bugs that are around my balcony I have a feeling it's more than just watering.

There are always spider mites and I've tried to get rid of them but apparently whatever I'm using is not agreeing with my bonsai. So for the past couple of weeks I just water it and spray it with water but it hasn't gotten any better. I water it every other day...most of the times just depending on how the top soil feels. I've attached a picture, it may not be the best quality but you can see the leaves.

Any advice would help, thanks!

[img]https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/Nuder/IMG_0045-1.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Nuder,

Sorry, I don't own a Fukien Tea yet so I don't have a lot for you. I see that you have it sitting in a drip tray. Do you allow water to stand in the tray? If so make sure it can not wick back up into the pot. Does the soil drain quickly or is it compacted?

Also, it is my understanding that Fukiens do not tolerate pesticides well so, as you have surmised, what was intended to help may have actually made the problem worse.

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

The combanation of the bonsai sitting in water and the use of harmful pesticides seem to have contributed to the problem its in. Make sure it doesn't sit in water, and for pesticides, use something organic, like neem.

IndorBonsai

Flip your drip tray over ( so the water runs off it and away from your bonsai pot )
or add gravel to raise your bonsai pot out of standing water.
Also I have found that using a 5 gallon bucket and filling it with water, then soaking/submersing your entire tree( gently brushing the leaves with your fingers ) for about 20 or so minuets helps get rid of alot of common bugs without using bug sprays. don't do this verry often tho it might be hard on some trees. but so far I havent had this kill any of my Bonsai. And a few of my trees I had to do this every time I watered and eventually the bugs were gone.
so good luck :)

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”