mathias_x
Newly Registered

help my green island ficus branches are drying out!

I live in the Saranac lake in the adirondack mountains and I bought a large Geen island ficus bonsai in november,it was from Folida and was full of leaves and the branches where in top notch condition.ever scence then the leaves are all most compleatly gone and now most of the branches have become dead like and dryed up prune-looking I have my apartment about 70' degrees and was keeping it by the window(because the lighting in the winter here is dark and it gets as cold as alska.I have no bugs on the tree and I have been misting it well I have not tryed to over water it,but keep it moist so it doesnt dry-out.However in my horror now the tree is getting dark reddish brown prune-like brown branches on it and there is only leaves up on the top, the trunk looks still good and onr of the huge branches that are holding the last of the leaves is still in good shape.I have just moved it over(the bonsai that is) to the far wall away from the wind cause I think that the window has a slight cold draft coming from it and no matter how much I try to block it out it still comes in,but like I said before it 70 dregrees in my apartment with the lowest it drop to being 66.
Pease help me save this bonsai it means alot to me and I spent alot on it.I don't think its going to last much longer and from everything I read on this tree its suppost to be one of the most easiest to care for what have I done wrong??? please for the love of god help me!!! :oops:
Sincerely,
mathias

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

mathias,

Can you describe your watering practice in more detail? Also describe the soil. Is it dense and peaty or loose and gritty.

My initial reaction is that you are watering it improperly.
I have not tryed to over water it,but keep it moist so it doesnt dry-out.
At first blush this seems OK but I wonder if perhaps you have been watering it in small doses rather than really soaking the soil which is what you should be doing. It is possible that you are keeping the top of the medium damp but allowing the deeper material to remain dry for extended periods.

Water should not be rationed for fear of over-watering. Proper watering is more about frequency than quantity. Always water thoroughly until water flows from the drain holes. You could pour a gallon of water through your soil and this will not be over-watering. You get in trouble when you water too frequently.

I suggest you investigate deeper in the soil and try to determine if the core of the soil is dry. You may have to slip the tree from the pot to ascertain this. If you find that it is dry then you have been watering incorrectly and emergency measures are called for. Soak the tree in a basin of water nearly to the rim and allow it to stay there for 15-20 minutes or until the soil is thoroughly saturated.

Keep in mind that this is only one possible cause/solution. Get back to us and tell us what you find. Oh and pictures certainly would not hurt either.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Mathias replied:
I have checked the soil once when I removed my plant out to look at the roots and it was loose with rocks in it.However my cat knocked over my tree with on of his infamous jumps so I had to go to a flower shop to get some kind of beginer soil for plants that are clippings(baby shoot-like) she told me she used this with her bonsai trees and it works fine, I've tryed watering the tree until all the water comes out the botton in the bath tub(what a mess that was) and this tree is massively big(well it was scratch almost all the leave,except the tip top ones ) for a bonsai, if I had a big enough bucket I I would use it to soak the whole tree(oval china pot and all).I wish I had taken a picture of it be for and after(it was the most beautilful bonsai I ever had or saw,and it did cost me!) now I feel so bad,I have really tryed to take ever step to protect it since november.
I don't have a digital camra and don't know how to use on,maybe if you could show me some pictures of other bonsai that have gone bad I couldtell you which one mine looks the most like.
Gnome thats for your help,and I hope we can work through this together so I can make amends to this poor tree and make her look beautiful once more! Embarassed
Sincerely,
mathias
Ps I don't have a growth light,I have been trying to use a really good lamp on it though(I know this sounds very moronic,but if I keep it by the window the cold draufts will hurt it even more!!!)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Mathias,

I've read your reply and I can't really determine the answer to my earlier question.
I've tryed watering the tree until all the water comes out the botton in the bath tub(what a mess that was) and this tree is massively big
So I assume that you water it in place and only water minimally in order to avoid having excess water all over your home. Is this correct? This brings me back to my original thought, the tree has been receiving insufficient water, this is still a guess however. So I ask again, is the soil (deep down, not just the surface) dry or moist?
if I had a big enough bucket I I would use it to soak the whole tree(oval china pot and all)
If I'm right you are going to have to make some plan to water this thing completely, either from above or below. It may be difficult but it is necessary.

Code: Select all

Ps I don't have a growth light,I have been trying to use a really good lamp on it though
What do you mean by 'a really good lamp'? Is this a conventional incandescent bulb? If so this may part of the problem. This type of lamp is not appropriate for plants, they get too hot and if you get them close enough to do any good they can burn the foliage. Does this sound like a possibility? Fluorescent lighting is a much better choice, you can get the light close without undue heat building up.

Norm

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

hello, found your post 6 months late. It's too bad you can't post a pic of your sick tree but here is mine.

[img]https://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/malagabee/CIMG0851.jpg[/img]

I've had it for a few weeks and it was in shock after I brought it home for a whole week and lost almost all leaves except the lowest 1 branch on this picture. It is holding steady now and I think it's the watering method that made a difference for mine. I had to wait until it dries completely before watering thoroughly until water flows freely from below.

Is yours still alive?

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”