Green

New Ficus: Questions.

I just bought a new Bonsai Ficus Ginseng and there are small rocks that cover the base on top of the soil. They are all glued together, what should I do when it is time to repot? Is that normal?

uzeyr

it depends if u really like them then its worth keepong (after all the tree is urs )
but they may restrict movement of water and so can cause a problem
also when its time to repot u will have to remove them then u can place them back but I wouldnt glue them if I were u (it would just be a hastle )

I have read in books that the rocks that come can be removed

JTred
Green Thumb

I would honestly just take them out now. They are only for looks and make watering a bit of a pain. Plus with those in place you can't really judge how dry the soil is because you can't get your finger down into the "soil". It's real easy to get out; just reach under where the glued in rocks meet the tree and pull up. It should come out in several pieces. They are there for 2 reasons:
1)so they don't spill during shipping
2)they look good
Neither of these reasons helps your tree. Remember also that watering should bring fresh air to your roots as well. That's kind of hard if the water has to seep in through the cracks in the rocks.

SaturnsPattern

What JTred said.

Remove them rocks :wink:

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Plus, you will soon have to transfer the bonsai into more suitable soil, as the soil its in now may kill it over some time. The rocks should therefore be removed ASAP!

JTred
Green Thumb

bonsaiboy wrote:Plus, you will soon have to transfer the bonsai into more suitable soil, as the soil its in now may kill it over some time. The rocks should therefore be removed ASAP!
I would wait to repot until a few weeks to a month after it gets put outside for the spring. That way it has a chance to adjust before it is subject to another shock. I agree with bonsaiboy, get rid of those glued in pebbles, it literally takes like 5 minutes.

Green

Thank you for your help. I did remove the rocks, and it was quite easy. :D

I have been reading up on bonsai's and I would like to start collecting them as I learn about them. I have always been pretty interested and now I want to start. That is why I started with what I read was a good beginner tree.

Now I have a couple other questions. I wasn't thinking about putting the tree outside because I thought it was an indoor tree. Should I put it outside during the spring and summer? I was wondering also how they go through seasonal changes if they are kept indoors. I don't think it would be wise during the winter to put them outside right? The reason I say that is because I live in Northern Illinois and it got down to -30F a couple of days and was below zero Farenheit for a few weeks.

JTred
Green Thumb

Well you wouldn't want to put it outside until the night temps are well above 30F. Outside in the spring and summer it will get better light, more humidity, and fresh air. Just make sure that before you put it outside, you are sure it will stay out there. I know all too well that ficuses don't do well with frequent location changes.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Moderators Note:

In another, parallel thread by 'Green' uzeyr wrote:
hahhhahhahaahha lol just be careful on ur new view or extending ur collection I started wit one as well and look now the house is looking like a rainforest ofcourse I don't mind but u knw there are other people in the house who hate my "plants" :O

but any way about ur current tree I would wait till summer unless its a juniper (Sorry I cant rem what tree u had )
but yeah wait til summer go to ur garden center I bet they would hav bonsai there don't make rash decisions choose wisely and if u ahve any Q
please ask before buying Very Happy

have fun
This text has been moved here for the sake of continuity and housekeeping.

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Moderators Note:

This text has been moved here for the sake of continuity and housekeeping.

Green,

Just to verify, we are talking about the Ficus, correct? You are correct not to even consider putting it outside now, Ficus are tropical and your weather would surely kill it. Even species that normally have a dormant period would suffer from such an abrupt and harsh change. Trees go through a process in the fall that prepares them for the upcoming winter and with out this 'hardening off' period the kind of sudden change you are talking about would be unwise.
I wasn't thinking about putting the tree outside because I thought it was an indoor tree. Should I put it outside during the spring and summer?
That is entirely up to you, Ficus can be kept inside and are one of the more appropriate species. A southern window or supplemental lighting would be extremely beneficial.

Some species/cultivars of Ficus are noted for dropping their leaves when they are relocated to a position with different levels of light. The variety I grow does not seem to be nearly as sensitive as others and I have not experienced this. So there can be a downside to moving Ficus in and out, you have to transition them and you may lose some growing time while a new crop of leaves form. The further North you go the less time they will get to be outside for their summer vacation and eventually you reach the point of diminishing returns where you are better off just to leave them inside year round.

I have been keeping Ficus for about 5 years now and I always keep them outside during warm weather. In my climate I can have them outside for approximately 6 months, so to me it is worth it. If I kept them inside year round under my present conditions they would eventually weaken and fail. But my indoor setup is fairly rudimentary and I am almost forced to get them outside as soon as the weather permits.

Growers who are more North of me will have less 'outdoor time' and, depending on their climate, some decide that it is just not worth the hassle of hauling everything outside, acclimating them to outdoor conditions and later reversing the process just for perhaps 3 or 4 months outside.

We often refer people with Ficus to the website of [url=https://www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html]Jerry Meislik[/url] a noted Ficus grower. I believe that he is one who never takes his Ficus outside at all but he goes to great lengths to provide [url=https://www.bonsaihunk.us/info/MetalHalides.html]adequate lighting[/url] so that his trees thrive, not just survive.
I was wondering also how they go through seasonal changes if they are kept indoors.
Ficus don't go through seasonal changes in the sense that temperate trees do, so that is not a concern with this species.

Norm

EDIT: Oh, Green please try to keep related questions in the same thread and avoid asking duplicate questions. It gets confusing for everyone, thanks.

uzeyr

hahah lol
I agree wit norm if it was as ficus ur talking about no way at this time. in summer u can decide if u want to or not but for the sake of it I would not move the ficus if its growing in the place it is then I would leave it that means that the tree would be content and like the place its at in a way :D

Green

You are all so very helpful, thank you very much.

I really like the junipers. Since I live in Illinois and the weather is so unpredictable, is the best way to have success with those through indoor lighting?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Green,
You are all so very helpful, thank you very much.
Thanks, we try.
I really like the junipers. Since I live in Illinois and the weather is so unpredictable, is the best way to have success with those through indoor lighting?
No, If ficus is one of the best indoor species, Juniper is one of the worst. I would never try to grow a Juniper inside. The usual scenario is that the tree struggles along for a few months before dying and drying up. Even if you can manage to keep it alive it will be very difficult to have it thrive indoors.

If you were willing to provide exceptional lighting like a sun room or other structure, or perhaps high intensity lighting such as Metal Halide, make accommodations to increase humidity and refrigerate it to induce dormancy, you might have a fighting chance. Is it really worth it when you could just place it outside and let nature do the work? Not for me.

Junipers are very hardy and will survive outside in your area with perhaps just a little in the way of protection over the winter months. But if you get one this spring/summer that won't be an issue until around next Thanksgiving.

Norm

Green

Okay, so I don't have a problem keeping it outside I just wasn't sure, it gets pretty windy here by chicago. Are they okay no matter how much rain you get during the that time frame during the spring, summer, and autumn when they are outside?

Also, what would be the best scenario throughout the cold winter months? Should I maybe keep it in the garage where it isn't quite as cold. There won't be nearly as much light in there.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”