Alaric

Tropical bonsai trees

I was just wondering how many species of tropical/non-deciduous bonsai trees there are available, especially since I want to experiment, and I live in South Florida.

Right now I do like my Ficus microcarpa named Joe. It works well indoors, is hardy, grows quick. I'm also attempting turn a small palm sappling I found into a bonsai tree. I'm not sure of the species, so I have to care for it until it grows large enough to identify, then I'll see how it goes from there.

I don't have fertilizer for acidic loving trees though, just for common ones. Any suggestions on tropical trees that flower and give fruit are good too, including any personal experience with handling them. :D

uzeyr

hi I have been keeping an elm and seems to be doing fine...........until now u can try ur luck wit that :D also pepper tree is really nice they are good tree once u get the hang of caring for them
ficus rae the best I would say for indoors :D love those trees :D

sorry to say this about the palm but I dount it cab be a bonsai beacuse they have a diffrent pattern of growin only when the reach a certain hight to the leaf or something like that I guess the best or rather the closest bonsai palm u can keep would be a cycad
they grow really slow though

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Try this site: meehansminiatures.com

They have a whole host of species that are suitable. Of course, you'd have to research which ones are most suitable for your situation since there is really no care information.

Alaric

The link is really helpful in what I'm looking for, thank you. I'll be able to do some research.

I'll keep the elms and pepper tree in mind. If the palm isn't suitable for being a bonsai, I can just plant it outside or in a large pot. I'll be sure of its future once I I.D it.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”