nae
Newly Registered

Creating a Bonsai with jade

I just recently got some jade. I want to make a bonsai tree. Can anyone tell me what pot do I need? or How do I go about doing this project??

=)

kdodds
Greener Thumb

If this is a potted plant, you've probably got quite a way to go before you can even think about a permanent pot. Have you gotten any books on the subject?

Cuda52774
Cool Member

What exactly are you working with here? A picture would be nice.

I have a nice little jade that someone gave me that is doing extremely well. Of course it is still not much more than a young sapling (about 6" high) but it's growing gang busters.

Are you trying to take cuttings from this existing jade to make into bonsai or are you going to transform the entire plant you have into bonsai?

A little more info please.

Cuda

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

nae,

Yes, please post a picture of the material in question. If it is small it will likely need to put on some growth.

Jades are not traditional bonsai specimens and styling can a challenge. I grow them and Portulacaria and I enjoy them both but I tend not to do a lot in the way of styling, just some selective pruning from time to time.

Here's a picture of one of mine in flower. For some of you this will not be anything new or unusual but in my climate it is. I have been growing these for years and never saw flowers until two seasons ago.
[url=https://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mediumwd4.jpg][img]https://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6951/mediumwd4.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Norm

uzeyr

wow at first I thought ok its another one of those show quality trees put up here as an example :D but its actually urs cool tree I like them they are not a problem I had one but had to leave it in kenya :(

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,
wow at first I thought ok its another one of those show quality trees put up here as an example
Thanks for the compliment. It's not that great of a specimen but it does show how a little effort in presentation goes a long way towards creating a good impression.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”